Do you consider cables to be a "component" of your system?

Meaning, do you think that cabling (AC/InterConnects/SpeakerWire) should be considered a component that is integral to your system?

I have probably as much money in cabling and fuses as I do in most of my components (if not more).

Please, please, PLEASE don't tell me that cables don't make a difference. I disagree and there's nothing you can say or do that will change my mind, so save it for another thread, please.

I just wondered if you had to recommend a set up to someone (who wanted a nice stereo), would you consider cabling to be essential in your build price and your recommendations? If so, would you consider the cost of the cables to be on par with the cost of a component?

128x128coralkong

I said separating them by type (power, interconnects, phono, cat5, speaker). The induction issue was caused by IC's on top of power cables, exactly what I am avoiding.

Try removing all the cables from your system and see how well it performs.....

If, therefore, cables are an essential part of a system, surely it makes just as much sense to optimize them as it does to optimize the boxes that they connect.

......your room acoustics is one of the biggest variables in your own personal sound reproduction and will have a significant effect on the overall sound of your system. The OP has asked if your cables should be considered as part of your system and the answer is .....yes. I do believe that and in my opinion, that Audiogon members who have not according to them witnessed or have heard the  '' placebo effect '' of what cables can do for a system have not really listened to any really resolving or well assembled systems and therefore make those statements. To the Audiogon member who said that he equated the tires of his car to their the cables in his system was spot on as better tires do make a difference in car's performance was dead spot on with that analogy. The other members who drive classic cars or expensive Audi's I am can agree that they have invested some money in better tires for those cars to get the best out of their systems which I do think can be '' scientifically '' measured but obviously can feel the difference in performance so why not cables if that is your argument  ? You do not to spend $20,000 for a power cord but one that is in your budget will on a cumulative basis as your upgrade your  cables your overall system and its enjoyment can only get better.       

@garebear 

Do moderne Radial tires exceed the ability of antiquated bias tires.. absolutely ! Pure Mechanical science is undeniable, as well no room for a Debate of any kind with Qualified test drivers. There is also no room for placebo of any kind it’s literally night and day with regards to the tires. This dose not equate in any way to the Forever debate with power cables in audio. To much some Hear it some don’t, mechanical testing that may or may not be audible…and the placebo effect. Tires and audio cables Analogy…. ridiculous ! And The idea that a person retrofits cables upon purchase hears a difference to be further enhanced with the spending of considerably more.. now that’s debateable placebo inc. How many years has this discussion been going on ? No definitive results yet ? One thing we can all agree on it’s been a money maker LOL

.......'' considerably more '' as what has been indicated in a thread is a relative  term. To upgrade from the original stock power that was provided when you bought your equipment may be acceptable for some and that is their prerogative. I have indicated that by upgrading your cables from the original stock cable and doing that say on a cumulative basis without spending a "' King's Ransom " will possibly improve your overall enjoyment of your system ; which is a subjective assessment. How do I know this ....I just spent the last month listening to the Hemingway Creation power cord, the Siltech Ruby Mountain II power cord and also the Shunyata Omega QR(s) power cord and also last but not least the Cardas Clear Beyond XL power cord. They were all placed on an Esoteric Grandioso K1x Cd player and all produced a different sound. All 4 were at different price points. I listened to them for extended periods of time before I made a decision. The decision I made is subjective as as well as personal and was also witnessed by others ( some non-audiophiles ) who could hear the difference. Was it scientifically evaluated in an anechoic chamber no ......but in my own living room a definite  difference was heard between them. Which cable did I end up with ?  ......the least expensive one, but the one that was most musical to my ears ; The Cardas Clear Beyond XL. Cables do make a difference but if you do decide to upgrade your cables ; be your own judge and make the decision which is best for you and your finances. They they should be considered as part of your whole system......