Do you care about car audio?

I like nice cars and I appreciate the fact that I've been fortunate enough to lease and drive some very nice ones.  I would never drive a luxury car out of warranty, but that's not my point.  My point is, as much as I love audio, I never really had any urge to upgrade my car audio system.  Whatever came with the car was totally satisfactory to me.  Right now, my car came with a somewhat upgraded Meridian stereo, but it is not the full-blown surround/subwoofer deal.  It sounds fine and I've never wanted more than a standard decent car radio had to offer.  
Do you people have any enthusiasm for upgraded car audio as opposed to stock?  Then again, truth be told, I've never listened to the fancy car setups and I might be tempted if I thought it was that much more enjoyable.  Who knows. 
chayro

Showing 1 response by dan2019

Good evening chayro,

I was in the same situation as the past several years with car audio as there was not much interest in upgrading the car stereo system.  A lot of the local car stereo shops seem to focus on the bass and high volume.  One day I walked into a shop with a car stereo dealer that had decades of experience from the time of cassette and even 8 track!  We talked about several different options for my Ridgeline truck. 

The final choice was to keep the original head unit, add a JL Audio - 5 channel 75 watt amp and 4 JL Audio separate component speakers. The amp drives the 4 JL door speakers and the existing subwoofer.
This dealer was able to use the factory head unit with the preamp outputs so the steering wheel controls all work perfectly.

When the work was completed he asked me to demo the truck with the new speakers and amp.  I was absolutely blown away by the night and day difference in sound. Especially when listening to a CD, the sound quality is exceptional.  He even added a small knob to directly control the output of the subwoofer (without going thru the settings on the head unit)!

After having many good quality car stereos I am amazed how well this simple setup works, and I can say that it is now a pleasure to drive that truck everyday.  

Best wishes,

Dan