Do the Jeff Rowland 201 amplifiers have warmth?

My system includes the Meridian 508.24 CD player, the Jeff Rowland Concentra I Integrated amplifier and the ProAc 2.5 speakers.

Do the new Jeff Rowland 201 amplifiers have the same warmth and character as the new JRDG 201? In other words, do the new Rowland 201 amps have the characteristic "warm" sound of the older amps? I am very satisfied with my Concentra but I am just asking. I also expect to look at the new Concerto Integrated amplifier. JRDG told me it is likely going to be released in late May/early June, depending on the arrival dates of a few parts. As soon as the Concerto amp is released, I will listen to both unit. I am just looking for other opinions on the 201. thanks..
hgeifman

Showing 2 responses by bombaywalla

I have some spotty 2nd-hand info on the new 13lb Model 201s:- A friend upgraded from his Model 2 to these new amps & he is very satisfied with them. He informs me that he is now grinning from ear-ear when he plays them. He has them for just 2 weeks. Right out of the box they sounded good but nothing revelationary but after about being on 24/7 for 1 week they suddenly broke in. Now, I understand from him, the sound is just like he would expect from a 250W/ch mono & exceeds his Model 2 by a long shot.

Sorry that I cannot describe the sound - he didn't describe it for me & so I cannot conjure something for this post!

He has been & is Rowland fan for atleast 10 yrs & he has listened to many other Rowland amps during these 10 yrs @ his dealer's place. I've been told that with each new Rowland offering, the amps get more & more neutral in sound. Whatever that means to you Rowland fans....
Funny! I know "Hantra" (who made the Audiocircle post) as he is a local audiophile who lives about 10 miles south of me! I never knew about his experimenting w/ the Model 201 amps! Oh well.....

Well, I've been in email contact w/ him: he is not using the Model 201 nor the BelCanto! He is using some other mono block amp. I'll be going over to his place sometime to listen.
FWIW.