Do Streamer only devices really impact sound quality?

From a layman mindset, a streamer transmits electronic information to a dac via coaxial cable or other connection. The electronic information I believe is standardized for all streamers. That said, the streamer itself could not influence the sound quality heard by the audience. I think it is bit-perfect information coming across to the dac. 

So for instance a Bluesound 2i   vs  Cambridge CXN V2 streamer should sound identical with the same connections and equipment used and of course same streaming service and content.

thoughts appreciated if I have this correct?  

dvdgreco

@soix Like you, I'll use my ears to test, but I also want to try to understand some of the "why" behind what I'm hearing. My understanding is that for coax and ethernet applications, solid core copper is the best industrial option vs stranded copper or copper coated aluminum. E.g. solid core is best for power over ethernet applications like cameras or wifi access points, and solid copper products can also transfer over longer distances. It would make sense to me then that solid core products would benefit sensitive A/V components too. So if you're looking for affordable ethernet cable to test, you may be interested in this oxygen free, solid core copper ethernet cable I found on Amazon. I wired my whole house with it. Once I started buying enough to wire an entire house, it cost about twice as much as the stranded copper alternatives, but I didn't want to skimp out. Hit me up once you start testing ethernet cables. I'll join you. 

Cat 8 Ethernet Cable 1.5ft Shielded, Indoor&Outdoor, Heavy Duty High Speed Direct Burial 26AWG Cat8 Network Wire, 40Gbps 2000Mhz SFTP Patch Cord, in Wall&Weatherproof RJ45 Cable for Router/Modem/Xbox https://a.co/d/4ZcnKcR

Simply put…

they can all sound different from one another. If you cannot hear the difference between one streamer and another, then it could be a question of the associated equipment? But even a low cost system should reveal the difference.  I used an Allo Digione with Volumio as the OS. I thought it sounded pretty spectacular. Especially with the coding mods and upgraded ps.
Then, I upgraded to a Pi2 design Mercury Streamer. My mind was simply blown by the improvement. It was immense. My system was instantly elevated (and it’s not all that special a system). To the point that I had serious trouble staying away from it.

So my answer is that there can be a major difference between transports.

Correct. Bits are bits. And jitter in today's equipment is so small it cannot possibly be audible. And error correction has been perfected for decades. Even as far back as when I was doing network programming for banking systems in the 80's.

@dvdgreco , There is no doubt that adding a good quality streamer to a good system will make a big difference.  It is likely that the Node and the Cambridge are not all that different.

I added an Auralic Aries G2.1 in front of my already good sounding Tambaqui DAC and it made (to me) a noticeable improvement.  I did not want to believe this, as there is a good streamer in my Tambaqui.  But it did.  I use USB from streamer to DAC, and also enjoy the Muon Filter in front of the streamer.  I also upgraded my network cables to Supra shielded Cat 8.

@soix ​​@tk21 Speaking of Darko, on the other end of the spectrum, here he calls the WiiM Mini "Outstanding" "Fantastic" & "Favorite streamer of 2022" all for $79.

https://darko.audio/2022/11/introducing-the-wiim-pro-network-streamer/