Do speaker cables really make a difference ?

Thinking about buying a different speaker cable. Do speaker cables really make a difference?

128x128rsa

Yes, wires do make a difference.

You can ignore anyone who gives an explanation that better cables do not work. Basic physics equations don’t properly explain sound dynamics. The basic equations don’t account for anything.

Also, watch out for any comparisons using Monster Cables. Those cables aren't really any good, and people using those to state that there is no improvement need to look at some other brands. I would agree, Monsters aren’t any better than cheap ones, but that has not been the case with other brands.  Actually, I've found that Monoprice interconnects do sound better than the Monsters I have owned.

You mentioned that you were going to try Anticables. I’ve had really good experiences with them. I replaced much more expensive cables with Anticalbes when I moved into my current house. Because of the way the house is set up, I needed to use 45 ft speaker calbes and run the cables through underground conduit (not an ideal setup in any way). But frankly, they sound better than the 8ft cables that they replaced. My wife (who has fantastic hearing, but doesn’t care about equipment--the perfect judge) noticed the improvement right away.

Don’t be put off by the thickness of the cable. The important part of the thickness is the copper core. Actually, cables work better when the core is thick and the sheath is thin. Marketing and cost are better when the opposite is true.

When I was buying these, I had a good conversation with the owner. Frankly, his design explanations made a lot of sense.

I would try them. They have a 30 day return policy if I remember correctly. Return them if they don’t work for you.

Having recently replaced my Blue Jeans speaker cables with Mogami, I can weigh in on this discussion. Two totally different sounds, for sure. After playing the Mogami's for a couple months I was not so sure they were what I was looking for and switched back to the BJC's, big change and I prefer the sound. I will switch back to the Mogami's once more to get a fresh impression, but likely looking at trying something else in the "lower" cost range.

Have just upgraded from Morrow Audio SP6 to SP7.  And once again, the better the cable, the better the sound of my system.  Specifically, better resolution and imaging, and perhaps a tad more bass now that they are breaking in somewhat...it's obvious to me that one can get very carried away w/the amount of money invested in I/Cs and SCs; the prices of some exceed the total $ that I've put into my entire system...but the caliber of your components should determine where this "law of diminishing returns" kicks in..I'm not there.

JB52, get help, man!

I just upgraded my speaker and interconnect cables to the Neotech Sahara rectangular OCC from harmonic Tech round OCC what a difference as good as around OCC is the rectangular OCC is even better, not cheap but well worth it.