Do Passive Pre-Amps 'Limit' the Lower-Mids?

The following is from a comparison between an active (ARC-LS3) pre-amp and passive or pre-amp less system-operation; "Connecting a source-component directly to one's amp is no panacea for sonic realism, in my experience. It can even be a deterrent as the life and body of the sound can be sucked out of a system which is perfectly capable of LIFELIKE reproduction. What is left is a thoroughly competent sound that is crisp and clear but dry and analytical, and also bereft of lower-midrange body, liquid-lucidity and lifelike-musicallity..." The full 'review' is at: Active vs Passive Pre
waj4all

Showing 1 response by dhl93449

In my experience, the resistor based ones do. I had a Goldpoint precision attenuator between my CA 840C CD deck and two JC-1 power amps. The sound was exactly as you describe. These were sepcial 5K Ohm Goldpoints built to keep the lowest impedance to drive the power amps, but the downside is its also a low impedance to the CD deck.

Replacing the attenuator with an active preamp made a world of difference in lower midrange imaging, detail. And restored central bass punch that was not there with the attenuator. I suspect that it will be difficult to find an attenuator that will provide a low impedance to drive the cable capacitance and the power amps while not loading down the source driving the attenuator.