Do most manu. buy or build their x-overs?

There is quite a bit of discussion concerning speaker driver manufacturers (scanspeak, vifa, morel, etc.) and who uses what. But in general I would say that drivers account for less than half of the overall performance of the speaker. The crossover is a HUGE factor, in many cases perhaps more important than the drivers themselves.
So, generally, do most manufacturers of high end speakers purchase their crossovers in the same manner? Or do they build them to suit the selected drivers?
If they are purchasing them, who are the big names? While I can name off a dozen driver manu. I can't think of one x-over manu., only a few designs named for their inventors (presumably).
jb3

Showing 1 response by gma952b

I do not know of a "high-end" speaker manufacturer who does not design their own crossovers- this would include Enregy, B&W, etc. They may contract to have each particular model's boards built, say in China, out of certain brands and certain tolerances...

The smaller boutique brands, Sonus Faber, von Schweikert, Coincident, etc. measure their raw crossover parts to achieve the "design-prototype" blueprint values very closely.

An example would be a tweeter crossover that needs a 10.3 microfarad capacitor, with +/- .025 microfarad deviation. The problem is that, unless you order 1000+ and can tolerate a long lead time, you cannot order a 10.3 value, only a 10.0 value, with a far higher +/- 0.5 microfarad variability (= 5% tolerance).

So a 10.3 value, +/- 0.025, takes a tested "10.something" and a tested "0.3something" in parallel, with the same two values used in the other speaker, for matching pairs.

You can't purchase worthwhile pre-made crossovers unless they are designed specifically, as in a kit, for a certain woofer, mid, etc.

Best,
Roy Johnson
Green Mountain Audio