Do Macs Play FLAC?

My my understanding was always that they could not play FLAC encoded files.  I just installed a Synology NAS.  I have a Bluesound Vault 2 with about 300 CDs that were ripped in FLAC and was able to transfer the contents of the Vault 2 to the NAS.  These show up as FLAC files in the NAS index.  To my surprise, they play on my MAcAir, purchased in in 2013, via usb into a Bryston DAC3.  I had assumed I would need a music playing program to make these files playable on the Mac.  I have no FLAC converting software loaded onto the Mac
mahler123
it is not supported by Apple.  They want you to convert it to Apple lossless format instead of playing native format.  I thought you had some tricks to make it work in iTunes.  Thx anyway!
You may want to try Channel D, Pure Music software for your Mac. This integrates with iTunes, and allows you to play FLAC and many other formats. Also, Pure Music is said to be very good sound quality.
More here:http://www.channld.com/puremusic/
@whocares73
Can you import flac files into itunes after installing Channel D?  Thx.

Post removed 
Is there any reason to use FLAC rather than AIFF?  I've been installing CDs into iTunes then ripping with dBPoweramp to AIFF.  Roon finds the files immediately and displays the cover art.  Before I started moving files to iTunes I would sometimes have trouble finding a ripped or downloaded file, maybe an error in setting up Roon.

db