Do loudspeakers need to be Refurbished?

My speakers, a 4 way unit were built by a high end manufacturer in Belgium in 1983. Speakers are still great. However, as I read all the new reviews of great speakers I was thinking two things.
Do I need a new speaker? How much progress has speakers made in 15 years.
Do I need to replave some of the speaker units? Do speakers get old over time? I guess so. Maybe woofers, midranges, or tweeters go faster.
I have no expereince in this area and have never read about anyone talking about.
pernilla84eb

Showing 1 response by doug28450

In the eighteen years since you bought those speakers there has been quite a bit of technology put into the design and construction of speakers. This technology includes both the drivers and cabinets. A great deal of this technology is based on the use of cpmputers for research, design and manfacture. In the end however, the top manfacturers still "design by ear". This is something that has not changed in eighteen years. The question of weather to buy new speakers is a personl choice. Certainly, new speakers will sound different and in some cases will perform certan aspect of music reproduction better. Additionally, some performance aspects may not be better. If you are happy with the sound of the speakers and they still satisfy your listening requirements then perhaps new speakers are not in order. The best way to determine weather new speakers are in order is to listen, but you already know this. In the event you choose to explore new speakers keep one thing in mind sounding different does not necesserily mean sounding better. You have a product you have grown very accostumed to listening to. A new apeaker will sound different, but is it better? Is it something you want to listen to for another eighteen years? Audiogon members will provide many recommendations on which speakers to try/listen to/buy. This is a great place to start by asking that qustion. You can also look back at some recent threads asking that question and get a good start there. As far as speakers getting old goes, they do age. The first thing to do is remove the grills and look at the surrounds. This is a rubber or foam piece that wraps around the drivers near the edge of the cone and attaches the cone to the frame. If it is crumbling or dried out and cracked then driver replacement is in order. Look at the cone for the same thing. I suspect that replacing the drivers with new quality high end drivers will be cheaper than new speakers, but trying to match the drivers to the cabinets may be a rather large challenge, it may be fun too though. If you choose this route you should probably change the crossover as well. I believe Dynaudio sells drivers, check their website www.dynaudio.com. There are also several magazines devoted to speaker building that you could try and several books on speaker building have been published. Good Luck, Doug