Do I need more power?

I recently got a rogue audio tempest magnum to go with my audio physic sparks. It has a great sound, but starts to break up a bit if i turn the volume way up. The integrated amp only has 60 watts. Do I need something else with more power? Ive thought of getting a preamp, but that seems like a waste given that this is an integrated. Should I look to trade this in and start with something totally different? Should I go for separates? Get a different integrated with more power? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
rhharris
Right, thanks. Now, Im not usually listening to stuff at realy loud volumes, but sometimes I would like to. Is that just not do-able with this setup? Or is there something I can add to it?
Hello Rhharris,

Most speakers require only a few watts to play at a moddest level. However, anything with a dynamic passage whether it be a horns, cymbals or drums can require as moch as ten fold. Essentially, what happens when you play something requiring a great deal of power the amp provides what it is normally capable ofand, since the sine wave cannot be completed it simply squares off. Think of an ice cream cone with the top cut off. Hence the term "clipping".

The other expressed conscern is the fact that your speakers present a 4 ohm load. Taking this into consideration it is unlikley that clipping is the case. Think of ohms, in which is a measurement of resistance, as a group of people guarding a doorway and current as an other group of people trying to pass through that doorway. Simply put, the more Ohms (guards) the less current (people) will be able to slip through and vica versa. Because your speakers offer a lesser load (resistance) than your amp was presented with when its output was measered, it can actually produce more than 60 watts without "clipping". Thus, I would conclude, as Sean suggested, that you are driving the speakers too hard not the amp.

I would also agree with Elevick's suggestion. Limmiting the bass responce to the speakers no only takes the strain off your amp but more importantly your speakers.

Happy Listening
Damon

Thanks to all for all the advice. On the Velodyne subs, there's a huge price range. Any suggestions? What do i need?

Also, does this mean i shld just stick with the amp? That is, it sounds like getting an amp with more watts wont make a difference since the speaker cldnt handle more anyway. Is that right? (But that confuses me because i was able to turn the volume up higher on my previous amp -- a cheap yamaha solid state -- without clipping.)
Use the 4 OHM taps on the Tempest. The 88 and the 120 have both 8 and4 ohm taps. I belive the Tempest does alos. Check with Rogue.
Elevick, you suggestion is brutal. You have no class or ethics.
This brings up a question for more of a tech'ster like Sean. Tube amps are transformer coupled at the output and if I am not mistaken they will not put out more power into a lower impedence load like most solid state designs.Is this correct? I have never had trouble with reasonably low loads with smallish tube amps. Is my experience different from others? The other questions that remain are, is this a very large room, and how loud is "realy loud"? The speakers are as far as I can tell from the info I can find, about 89db in terms of sensitivity. for realy loud in a big room with a 60 watt tube amp, which is in reality quite a bit of real world juice, i would say you need to look into the Silverline speakers like the SonataII( Lots'O $$$!) which is rated at something like 95db(which would play quite loud with an 8 watt SET amp ) or go for the Bi-amp subwoofer sugestion mentioned by Elevick, which is what I have done. I like the sub set up with my 45 watt tube amp, 88db sensitivity speakers,300 watt sub, moderate room dimensions. It will play louder that you really should listed at times.