Do I need a preamp/processor?

Hi everyone, 

Home theater is new to me so I need assistance. The question I have is do I need a HT preamp/processor to properly listen to movies (DVD, streaming etc)?  I currently have a 2 channel system using a Red Dragon S500 amplifier, Schiit SYS preamp, and Kef ls50 speakers.  I’m mainly streaming Tidal through a Sonos Connect which is connected to the preamp via rca.

I would like to add in the capability to listen to movies through the ls50s and Red Dragon. I’m currently doing it by running a toslink cable to an external DAC then rca to the preamplifier, then rca to the amp. The hook up works but it doesn’t sound that great. 

I was planning on upgrading my preamp anyway, and it was suggested that a HT preamp/processor might be a good alternative. It sounds very appealing since it would do double duty for me. However I’m still vacillating between the two choices since some nice 2 channel preamps pop up every so often.  

Please help!

autre

One caveat…

Did you take a look at the costs of used HT receivers?

Sure, an Oppo 100 or 200 series is a no brainer addition, depending on features and needs.

The thing about the Oppo as versatile as it is with digital formats, streaming, spinning, etc. it is NOT an END ALL BE ALL PRE - PROCESSOR.

Trudging down this road years ago and seeing that volume control for all the analog outputs, I felt well, well. Here is the thing no one else is seeing and a really cheap short cut so I don’t have to invest into more stuff!

It seemed a no brainer. Cool. But then why wasn’t this feature and its obvious attributes expanded on more in the Oppo ads on their own website?

As well, why did I not see Oppos being used strickly in place of Pre Pros by many other members in their listed systems??

That’s why I called and asked them about running amps from it.

Their report was essentially, it can work but it is not advised as a constant use solution. They kept it short and sweet and I was left to draw my own conclusions.

I came away with this, given their input, one can only surmise although it does a ton of stuff,and most of it very well, working as a preamp pro is not one of its strengths if relied upon for daily operations. The preamp section must be a bare bones oh, by the way, affair. Channel matching, etc. Pressed into constant use could be a significant issue later.

A side ways step? As a stop gap, maybe so. Everyday? Not as sure.

Then too, there’s that question on SQ which right now seems a fairly important aspect OP is seeking to improve upon.

This is a question I’d ask the community – how many folks are using or have used the oppo as a pre pro running amps directly off of it on a daily basis?

That could be quite interesting, or simply searching the threads for something similar already posted should help.

One box solutions in an Audio first and always forum often meets less than enthusiastic responses especially when it comes to the audio section of an HT system. Then a default to separates is the normal bent. HT recs are simply met with dismissive attitudes a lot.

In HT forums, it is not this way. As a solution they are accepted as a viable path from which to begin quite regularly.

With an HT receiver
1 Break ins
Running in any gear using the HT rec gives longer life to the main gear. Wires, components, speakers, power cords, etc.

2 Break downs
Sure is nice to NOT be without a fall back system if some part of the main rig fails.

3. instant amplification means more channels!
Picking up bookshelf spkrs and merely using home Depot 12ga wire actually does work and adds to the movie watching experience. Most info in the rears is not tremendously crucial unless in Action, Adventure, Sci Fi, chases, battles, etc. often its only crickets flies, and frogs or dogs barking or cars passing by. Its all additive though.

4. one box solution
The preamp is as durable as are its other feature sets. Many late models are going to class D amps so their weight is down. Use the interior amps, or add your own as you are able.

5 they’re built to be THE stand alone solution
Durability. Functionality, versatility. Competency. A spring board for growth.

6 trickle down
Later on they move into other rooms of the home serving as well there as they did initially.

BTW, oppo outputs are all hot all the time. It enables multi connectivity to multiple devices.

As for available streaming services included or not, merely adding a Roku fixes that and they ain’t expensive either.

I would say go Apple but their updates have not been without significant problems in basic operations or in conjunction with 3rd party apps, Netflix, HBO, FOX, NFL, TNT, History, AMC, etc.

Their last OS 11 update has almost completely disabled my Gen 4 box so only youtube and Netflix still work OK, but not great.

All the best

See here for Oppo's view: https://www.oppodigital.com.au/blogs/reviews-resources/15420449-using-your-oppo-as-a-pre-amplifier
There is really no technical reson not to do this.The backend of the unit is just  a high quality DAC with volume control and stereo outputs.
However, if the OP is not principally interested in a disc spinner, he does not need anything anyway, at least not until he has diagnosed why he does not like the audio from his tv. If it is bad quality from the tv station, even an Oppo willnot improve in this. And he should have a close look at the connections on the tv his wife is fancying. If it is just hdmi he will have a problem.
Has anyone compared the audio quality of the Oppo 105 to that of the 203?

also I checked the specs of the tv my wife likes (Samsung Frame), and guess what, it does do 4K UHD. The tv also has HDMI out, and toslink but it’s not specified if it’s an input or output. 

@blindjim - I see that you are really pushing the idea of a AVR Receiver. I don’t think this is really in autre’s best interests as he already has a Red Dragon S500 amp. If he is wanting to improve the sound, I would suggest a dedicated HT Processor instead of an AVR. Sure, the AVR is a great band-for-the-buck one-size-fits-all solution, but it is a compromise when compared to separates and also the OP here is not in that situation. The money spend on a receiver could be better spent towards an HT Processor that would yield better results for his amplifiers (better audio stages, better power supply, XLR outputs, etc.).

I am trying to respond to the OPs exact questions instead of going into an entirely different direction. I do agree that the Oppo players are a good solution, but if you look way back to my first post, I recommend an Oppo player PLUS a Parasound P7 preamp (multi-channel preamp). The Oppo by itself can be used to drive an amp directly, but the sound will be somewhat on the dry side and the Oppo does not exactly have the output gain that a preamp will have.

So, for autre’s recommendation, I would either say a nice HT Processor or an Oppo + Parasound P7. In either case, he has the ability to grow with adding a center channel speaker/amp if he wants to.

@autre - with regards to Oppo 105 vs 203. I would say that the 105 would have better sound because of linear power supply and fully balanced left/right outputs. That being said, if you get the 203 and upgrade it with a linear power supply (i.e. OPPOMOD), it may be VERY close to the 105 sound quality and has the ability to support 4K modes. However, keep in mind that the 203 does not support streaming services directly (such as Spotify, Pandora, Netflix, etc.)

There is really no technical reson not to do this.The backend of the unit is just a high quality DAC with volume control and stereo outputs.
That could be quite interesting, or simply searching the threads for something similar already posted should help.
One box solutions in an Audio first and always forum often meets less than enthusiastic responses especially when it comes to the audio section of an HT system. Then a default to separates is the normal bent. HT recs are simply met with dismissive attitudes a lot.
In HT forums, it is not this way. As a solution they are accepted as a viable path from which to begin quite regularly.
http://www.parsaya.com