Do I need a preamp/processor?

Hi everyone, 

Home theater is new to me so I need assistance. The question I have is do I need a HT preamp/processor to properly listen to movies (DVD, streaming etc)?  I currently have a 2 channel system using a Red Dragon S500 amplifier, Schiit SYS preamp, and Kef ls50 speakers.  I’m mainly streaming Tidal through a Sonos Connect which is connected to the preamp via rca.

I would like to add in the capability to listen to movies through the ls50s and Red Dragon. I’m currently doing it by running a toslink cable to an external DAC then rca to the preamplifier, then rca to the amp. The hook up works but it doesn’t sound that great. 

I was planning on upgrading my preamp anyway, and it was suggested that a HT preamp/processor might be a good alternative. It sounds very appealing since it would do double duty for me. However I’m still vacillating between the two choices since some nice 2 channel preamps pop up every so often.  

Please help!

autre
Wow I’m really glad I asked this question. All of you provided me with such helpful information. I researched the Oppo line since that seemed to. be a common suggestion and one that sounded good for my system. Now I understand why a lot of members here like the Oppo players, they can do a LOT and do it well. It seems that this could replace the DAC, and provide me with an excellent preamp, and better yet, also includes multi channel audio output!

Now this brings about another question. Which Oppo do you recommend? I can afford either the 105, 105D, or the 203. The 205 seems fantastic but there’s no way I can get that until prices fall. The 105 seems more versatile and stronger on audio, while the 203 is newer and offers 4K,but the audio emphasis isn’t as strong. Since the majority of usage of my system will be 2 channel stereo, I’m leaning towards the 105 or 105D but please lemme know your thoughts. 

If audio quality is your primary concern, I would go with the 105 or 105D.  The 105D includes the Darbee video processing, which does help sharpen the image somewhat, as long as you do not overdo the Darbee setting.  I have my set at about 35%.  If you crank it too high, the image becomes un-natural.  The Darbee helps a little bit with HD, but it does more improvement with SD.

If 4K was a priority, obviously get the 203.  Then get a linear power supply upgrade, such as from these sources:

http://www.oppomod.com/

https://www.clonesaudio.com/accessories-1

Linear Power Supply is a significant upgrade to both audio quality and video quality.  The 103/203 series uses only a switching power supply (bad).  The 105/205 series uses switching power supply for digital board and then a linear power supply for audio boards.

105 stock vs 203 with linear power supply -- I'm not sure which one would win out here.  Getting rid of the switching power supply in the 203 will significantly help clean up and improve the audio.  Be aware that the 203/205 models do not include the streaming functionality (Netflix, Pandora, etc.).  The 203/205 also do not include Darbee.

It appears that the new 203/205 uses less power on the digital board because the amount of capacitance on the switching power supply is about 3/5 that of the 103/105 series.  It also uses an 8 pin internal power connector instead of a 15-pin (for digital board).

Actually, upgrading the switching power supply in any of the models will significantly improve things in any event.  If you got the 105, the linear power supply could be a future upgrade.

Thanks auxinput,
you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned that I wanted flexibility in the system. Its nice to be able to pick up the pieces to build that foundation and the Oppo does sound like it will fit that bill. We are looking to pick up a new tv and the one my wife likes doesn’t have 4K so it’s not a biggie. I can pick up the 105 and the 204 for virtually the same price so it’s a matter of picking one. 

One thing I wasn’t able to clarify last night was if the 105D has WiFi built in like the 203. Can anyone please shed some light?