Do I have to use a streamer/renderer to play music from an NAS?

I apologize for the basic question. But, I can’t seem to find an answer online. I would like to put all my CDs on an NAS and play that music through my system. I have a Rotel RC/RB-1590 set up. I know some NAS boxes come with DLNA software installed, and I am looking at Synology because I read their software for finding and selecting music to play is pretty good. Eventually, I will probably end up with something like a Cambridge Audio CXN or 851N to stream tidal and digital radio, as well as the music on the NAS. But, do I have to have the Cambridge or some other device to just play the digital music from the NAS to start? I would like to do the purchases in steps so I can get better units as I can afford them.  Also, any advice on alternative solutions would be much appreciated. Thanks.
kumakahn

Showing 1 response by stevea11757

I run a  Synology NAS that I keep on the first floor on my wired network running CAT7 cables and through a few gig switches. I have two stereo systems the main uses a PS Audio Directstream and one a Perdfectwave DAC, both connected to the network. All the computers on the network have JRiver installed as well as a tablet so I can control from anywhere. The software seems to work well (Windows based computers) and the SQ on either system is more than acceptable. Have not fiddled with ethernet cables outside of upgrading from CAT5's as I feel it is just data at that point and not sure how different cable would make the data better.
My  $.02