Do I have to spend $4000 plus to get a better sounding speaker than GET model 7 ?

I have owned a pair of Golden Ear Technology 7's speaker for almost 3 years. I think they sound very good in my current set-up.  I bought them unheard based on the rave reviews they received at CES 2012. My concern is that if I was to invest in a speaker that is $3500-$4000, it may prove to be only marginally or fairly better. I am not saying that the GET's 7's are the best bargain in audio at $1395.  My experience with them is they are  very accurate with low distortion, but don't throw a particularly wide or deep soundstage. 

I have considered( not necessarily auditioned) Revel F-206;  Focal Aria 936;  Paradign F85;  PSB T-2';  Ryan 630;  B&W CM9S   Dynaudio X-34;  Duevel "Venus"  Audio Physic Sitara 25 and Tempo 25  All of the indicated speakers (except AP and Duevel) fall in the $3000-$4500 retail price range 

ProAc floor standers are off the scope in price, (often, even used)   Anything I buy will be used, because California sales tax is 8.5%,  and I can stretch my dollars buying used. 

Any recommendations are welcomed especially if based on you own experience with a particular speaker or brand.

Thank you, S.J     

sunnyjim

Showing 1 response by avanti1960

sunny j-

i have heard most of the GE line including your 7s and 80% of the speakers on your wish list.  
as others have mentioned, the GEs are decent HT speakers but not quite optimized for simulating a live musical sound stage.  they have "synthetic"  sounding bass because of the smaller woofers and passive radiators which are very tough to make sound good.  also your sound stage is narrow because the ribbon tweeters have a very small horizontal dispersion pattern and sweet spot.  shift your head and the sound changes radically.  
you want a mucisal sound skip everything listed and go straight to Harbeth.   The C7ES3  will sound as close to natural live music as you can get within your budget and dealers will usually give a good percentage off from list.