Do 180g vinyls sound better or is it a myth ?

After just recently getting into vinyl and buying a few albums I’m wanting to know opinions from like minded people. Does the weight of the vinyl make a difference to overall sound quality, and to add a bit more substance to the post, does it sound better than CD ?
Thanks for taking the time to read my post .

Steve
128x128steve1979

Showing 2 responses by johnnyb53

Here are my experiences.

When I was 16 I cut out a record by The Archies from the back of a cereal box. I put it on my big brother’s turntable/separates rig to play it for my amusement--as in how awful it would sound. To my surprise it sounded as good as a real pressed record. Go figure. I’m sure with my present rig its shortcomings would be more obvious. But with a record grip holding it down, maybe not.

I have a modest KAB rubber record grip. I find that it lowers surface noise and makes a 70g Dynaflex record sound more like a 140g pressing.

I also got a special Classic Records release of Elgar’s Enigma variations on both 180 and 200g pressings. I figured they’d sound identical, especially with the record grip. To my surprise the 200g really did sound better. Since this was a large scale orchestral production, I suspect that the extra mass helps handle the dynamics and deep bass modulations.

So I don’t know. Maybe the answer is "sometimes." It could be a difference in the mastering of one vs. another edition, and the record weight isn't the issue. Maybe it depends on how dynamic, dense, and complex the recordin. You might hear a difference with a 100-piece orchestra playing a 20th century composition that won’t show up with a 4-piece combo.
Perhaps we should list all the good labels?

Here’s a Couple
- Sheffield Labs
- Jeton
- Deutsche Grammaphon
Any More?....

Sure:

• Concord
  • ECM
  • Geffen
  • A&M
  • EMI
  • Angel (EMI recordings pressed and distributed by Capitol)
  • Eratos
  • A fair amount of Atlantic
  • Warner/Reprise
  • Water Lily
  • Analogue Productions
  • Fantasy
  • Columbia--some great ones: Miles Davis Kind of Blue, Blood, Sweat & Tears self-titled, Bruno Walter & Columbia Orchestra
  • RCA Living Stereo shaded dog
  • Mercury Living Presence
  • Belock-period Everest