Do 180g vinyls sound better or is it a myth ?

After just recently getting into vinyl and buying a few albums I’m wanting to know opinions from like minded people. Does the weight of the vinyl make a difference to overall sound quality, and to add a bit more substance to the post, does it sound better than CD ?
Thanks for taking the time to read my post .

Steve
128x128steve1979

Showing 1 response by jji666

My take:  a 180G pressing means that someone at some point at least thought about representing it as higher quality, meaning there is a greater probability that care was taken with the record production and pressing. But that is all it is - you can still get a very crappy record as well.  I have ordered and returned 3 different copies of Hunky Dory (Bowie) on Simply Vinyl before I decided the whole run must just not be good.

I have heard, but have no way to test, that 180G vinyl is less likely to warp, which in the long run would be a kind of quality issue.  I have also read that you can play 180G vinyl more than once in a day without the concerns associated with lighter pressings, which is likely a related point.  

I'll be able to post more opinions once I get my cartridge replaced - cleaning lady snagged it last week - hard to play vinyl with no stylus.  And I was only about 20 hours into my Ortofon 2M Bronze.  Ouch!