Do 180g vinyls sound better or is it a myth ?

After just recently getting into vinyl and buying a few albums I’m wanting to know opinions from like minded people. Does the weight of the vinyl make a difference to overall sound quality, and to add a bit more substance to the post, does it sound better than CD ?
Thanks for taking the time to read my post .

Steve
128x128steve1979

Showing 1 response by dvavc

There are many cd based systems that sound better than most vinyl based systems ...
Thats a substitution of meanings. Yes, if you compare week analog vs. good DAC then yes it is possible, however in equal systems LP will always outperform CD It will have more refine, organic, more natural sound, one more step towards real sound, instruments will have more natural tones and will sound more real, more air around instruments, hi's more natural etc.,  Though I haven't heard in my sys. $15.000 and up DAC's, i.e. MBS, Total DAC, new Berkley etc., nor do i care cause it doesn't make any sense at all price wise anyways. If you take exactly the same recoding one is on LP and one is on CD, LP will always sound better (BTW, in this specific case not different but better), even if that late re-re-issues, possibly from HDD, still, it'll sound better than CD. 180g LP is total waste, I think they try to substitute quality, perfectly flat vinyl from 50-60's which as i understand is no longer available with more massive one. BTW, we all should start sampling recording of our sound in support of our claims ;~). It also depends on one's listening experience, I personally changed my mind on that issue once for the last 15 years and BTW I started listening to vinyls only in 2001 i think and converted completely only in 2012 i guess. Still have 3 DAC's and about 4 transports/players, no SACD though. My CD's plays like never before, but  but now when i'm listening to CD i know exactly what i'm missing in terms of sound compared to same album on LP - mostly refinement. Setup, especially room acoustic is crucial for both formats of course. I'm a fast learner, so it took me just 25 years to understand what is going on.))))))