DL103 vs. DL103R

Yes, yes , yes... I KNOW this topic has been sort of DONE TO DEATH. However - there's one thing I kind of need to know. I was going to jump on one as a preliminary pickup for my new analog rig (SOTA Star, no tonearm yet) - I'd kind of decided already against it becuase the 103R supposedly had a really hot top end. My Linn Saras are just about at the threshold of comfort on the top end for me anyway - and I didn't want to put them over the edge. From what I UNDERSTAND, the 103R is much hotter (peaky) in the treble regions than the regular 103. But then I'd read a vague mention of the OPPOSITE as well. Can anybody relate the character of these to eachother in this regard? Or in absolute terms? Thanks so much even though there's so much out there on the subject already.

Jonathan
letranger

Showing 3 responses by letranger

Okay hmmm... I found the article - and it was on AUDIOGON, of all places!

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?ranlg&1034089946&read&3&4&

Here is a direct quote;

For the down-sides, there is a hint of edge on some vocals, especially ones that are already edgy voices. It is not the last word in "smoothness" but it is certainly not bad here. It could be a little better though. There is a very slight hint of some upper midrange coloration, like the standard 103 has, but much less. The lighter coils create a slight rise in amplitude over 15kHz, that the standard DL103 does not have. I did not find this to be problematic, although those with a "hot" tweeter may not like this. The low compliance of this cartridge is not compatible with all tonearms. It likes a heavier arm, and really does perform better with gimbal arms. Heavier unipivots, or ones with damping and stabilizing may work, though.

I was all set to get one - but this kind of threw me a bit - since my tweeters tend to be a bit on the spikey side.

Reflections?
Thanks for all the info. I am very well aware that the sound of these things is 1) massively subjective in general and 2) completely dependent on what lies downchain of it - all the way to room acoustics, etc. etc...

However, inthe case of a direct comparison in a given constant system, I think that one can, and will, be objective (the object here being the 'constant' or system it's hooked up to) and therefore the most meaningful of comparisons. Having a VERY peaky tweeter, I am very inclined to be VERY cautious about which other components I pick - and especially in an era of the impossibility of A/B ing any number of pickups at a dealer - I'm putting MUCH more weight on words. Yes, I could buy one. And then swap it for something else. That would kind of suck, though... to have to go through all the effort - and buy an arm that would match this cartridge and then decide you don't like it. I AM rather hoping, to use my analytical skills and read between the lines and figure out for myself (foolish maybe) what might work for me - now having read a few score articles/reviews in depth. This should be interesting at least - to see what I end up with!
My issue was simply that I was trying to see the BIG picture - even if a given piece of hifi is proven to be objectively FAR superior than another, don't make it right for you. In this instance - I STILL might get one. But if the R model made my treble even hotter than it is now, it would render my music UNLISTENABLE - and in THIS particular context - the regular 103 would become a FAR superior choice in MY system - if it comes down to the diff. between being able to listen and not. Makes sense, right?

thanks
Jonathan