DL-103r with a Soundsmith Retip revelation

I've been sort of a DL103 naysayer for awhile. Tried them on numerous occasions, in different forms. I've had them nude, with a wood body, with a metal body, and stock. I've never been engaged. I've been using a Herron VTPH-2 with plenty of gain so that hasn't been the problem. I've been looking for a backup cartridge while my Decca London is back getting retipped and I went ahead and purchased a 103r with a wood body that was just fitted with a aluminum cantilever and a Line Contact stylus from Soundsmith. And now I get it! Such a pleasure to listen to. Clean and wonderful and smooth. Vocals are awesome. Violins really get you. I'm very happy. Sold off my 2M Black, my Audio Note IQ3 and selling my AT150sa. All really great cartridges but not as good in my system.
dhcod

Showing 3 responses by tonyptony

How did you get Line Contact on the aluminum cantilever? I thought the AL pipe came with a hyper-elliptical. I was looking at a SS retip as I recently bent the cantilever on my 103R. I was hesitant because I frankly like the conical stylus on the Denon. My copy, before it’s unfortunate accident, could track anything and sounded great in its aluminum body. I wasn’t sure if going with the line contact or even the hyper-elliptical would make it more "picky" - more finicky about how it was set up. For a few dollars more I could just get a new 103R.

Can you describe how it's improved over the Denon's conical? Is it harder to align?
Thanks. I don't see the line contact / aluminum cantilever option on the SS site. How long did it take, and what was the price?
Agreed. I just finished setting up a Purple Heart NS so I think I could do it, but there's something to be said for a backup cart that's completely painless to set up. :-) Maybe I'll compromise with the SS hyper-elliptical.