DL-103r with a Soundsmith Retip revelation

I've been sort of a DL103 naysayer for awhile. Tried them on numerous occasions, in different forms. I've had them nude, with a wood body, with a metal body, and stock. I've never been engaged. I've been using a Herron VTPH-2 with plenty of gain so that hasn't been the problem. I've been looking for a backup cartridge while my Decca London is back getting retipped and I went ahead and purchased a 103r with a wood body that was just fitted with a aluminum cantilever and a Line Contact stylus from Soundsmith. And now I get it! Such a pleasure to listen to. Clean and wonderful and smooth. Vocals are awesome. Violins really get you. I'm very happy. Sold off my 2M Black, my Audio Note IQ3 and selling my AT150sa. All really great cartridges but not as good in my system.
dhcod

Showing 1 response by islandmandan

I'm glad to see you now know what I've learned about the 103R. Mine was a very closely-matching Zu Denon, which I sent to ESCCO in London for their white sapphire cantilever-Paratrace stylus upgrade. I'm very happy with it, though I've taken flack from members for spending so much on such a cartridge. It was $350 well spent in my opinion.

Enjoy,
Dan