DIY - Two kits using similar tweeter to Tekton

Hi Everyone,

There is a lot more to a speaker quality and sound than the brand of tweeter, but I wanted to get you excited about the idea of making your own. I try to post nice DIY projects or kits I find around the web every now and then. Every audiophile should build at least 1 pair of speakers in their lifetime!

Madisound in the US is now carrying a pair of kits, a 2-way and a 2.5 way from SB Acoustics. A very find Danish designer/Indonesian manufacturer trying to give ScanSpeak a run for their money for less.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/speaker-kits/satori-ara-2-way-speaker-kit-pair/

The normal markup on drivers in the store is 10:1. If you buy the complete kit you pay 4:1, so a big savings. These are very well liked parts, and the tweeter is uber smooth. This is not the kit to buy if you are enamored of Golden Ear or B&W or Dynaudio.

One big advantage of buying a kit like this is part rolling. You can buy it as is, and then try your hands with any exotic capacitor you like.

Also introduced recently is the 2.5 way design, with cabinets:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2.5-way-speaker-kits/satori-rinjani-2.5-way-speaker-kit-pair/

Best,

E
erik_squires
Not the kits, but the individual drivers are pretty well regarded. :) 

I'd suggest you ask in DIY forums, you'll find people with direct experience. 

Best,

E
Probably why these type of DIY threads should be in another forum? as you are saying the drivers you are touting are respected but you have not heard the speakers in question. I think for the most part, and with all due respects Eric, I think you are flogging a dead horse here.
I do read the posts though, but can no way entertain any form of DIY.

@gawdbless

I do read the posts though, but can no way entertain any form of DIY.

That’s a real shame, because I think every audiophile needs to at least once in their hobby build their own speaker pair. You’d learn a huge amount viscerally instead of whatever BS you think you can learn from reviews alone.

It will completely alter your perception of value and what things you should be tweaking to get what you want.

That is why a thread or two on DIY in the Speaker forum is important. Of course there are dedicated DIY forums like DIYaudio.com and Parts Express, but if they stopped appearing in Audiogon it would be an intellectual impoverishment of the hobby.

Above all, DIY should not be about saving money but about learning and taking control over what you are listening to away from the manufacturer and review cabal and into your very own hands. 

Building a pair of DIY speakers doesn't mean you won't buy commercial again, it just means you are a much better informed audiophile (by orders of magnitude) than everyone else. 

Best,

E
Hi Eric,

What kind of value/performance do you think the two speakers you list. one at $1400 and the other at $2500 in terms of if one spent those amounts from a commercially made Loudspeaker?, doesn't matter what company. Do you think the value in sound would be greater than the outlay If one did buy a speaker of the same price?
What price do you think those two kits would be priced at if say Kef, B&W, Elac  etc were to sell them?

@gawdbless

There’s too much with your question I object to.

I don’t believe that money = performance in speakers or electronics. However, from a practical perspective, you usually need to spend 10 times the driver cost to make money at the retail level so as I wrote in the first post, it would be around $5k for the small kit.

As I tried to show before, whether you get into DIY or not should be for your own education, or you will never be happy.

Best,

Erik