DIY Power cord

I have some 4 core 10 gauge screened  cable with ptfe dielectric that I'd like to use for a power amplifier mains cable that will be terminated with an IEC plug. What should I do with the fourth core? Just leave it,  use it as an extra earth cable or perhaps an extra live wire? 
infinityaudio

Showing 1 response by adg101

Who makes the cable, and what is its rating?  I wouldn’t bother on this cable for what you just described. My experience on DIY PC’s is the ends have as much or more to do on the sound so if you’re going to build your own, spend the money on the ends or don’t bother. There’s plenty of nice used PC’s out there so not sure buying ends at retail you can beat say a used Kimber PK10 Gold. Many known brand PC’s aren’t UL listed so don’t get too hung up there. If you were to use this cable, I’d float the fourth conductor, but I think I’d pass altogether anyway. If the cable is unshielded which is ok, it’s possible the fourth conductor could possibly pick up EM/RFI. If you want to build your own look at VHAudio for their least expensive PC and buy some decent ends. Make sure you terminate the ends correctly as well. Don’t burn your house down.