DIY Custom Made Turntables, some doubts..

Hello to all!

Please, someone can explain me how is the process of assemble a turntable when you purchase or DIY the cabinet, purchase a direct driver platter motor, like a Denon or JVC for example, and separated tonearm.

How projects like this works, in order to assemble the turntable with the tonearms correct distance in relation to the platter, in order to work properly?

I presume that tonearms that are sold separately, have all the instructions how to be installed in the correct position, is that right?

Just a example: http://www.aroundhifi.com/tag/turntable/

Many thanks, best regards to all, and feel free to tell me another technical infos that must be considered.

128x128cosmicjazz
I think it’d be EXTREMELY difficult to get any kind of results even approaching a good commercial TT. I would not attempt it. 
Hey guys, I was thinking more about this concept yesterday, maybe for a beginner, is better to start with something like this? or similar..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_NiU3nELpM

In order to learn how to install different tonearms, as the cabinet itself already have the module to take out and install other tonearms, and also different DD motors patters...

Instead of a project like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5jUsvCq-1E

Where I presume it is a much more complex to setup.

Makes sense? What do you think? Any info is very much appreciated in order to understand more about this concept.

Thanks to all, best regards.

There is no difference in set-up process as you will have to measure and drill a mounting hole for each tonearm individually and the size and Pivot to Spindle distance depends on the tonearm, for each tonearm it’s different. To measure Pivot to Spindle distance and to align your cartridge you need Dr.Feickert protractor. You need a blank arm boards (not already drilled for another tonearm or you will end up like this). If you will make a custom (blank) arm boards for original plinth they will be different color and veneer on the original plinth and on your custom arm board will never be the same. The Victor plinth is easy to made, look here.

I have both original Victor plinth, including the one designed for two tonearms, i prefer small one for one tonearm.

If you have a carpenter you can order something like Baltic birch plywood sandwich and for the best possible result you could use Pneumatic Insulators, here is mine.

That round plinth is just super ugly (on your linked page), you could make your own plinth in traditional size and shape. Denon original plinth are much better than original Victor plinth (i have both). For Denon you’d better buy original DK-300 plinth!

Here is mine.

Here is another example of custom made plinth for JVC Victor TT, but this can be too complicated for you.

Or you can use it without plinth, but with tonearm pod/base like this. This is same TT with a ring slate plinth, the owner is audiogon member.

*** My advice (and it’s simplest):

Buy Denon DP-80 drive in perfect condition, find yourself and original Denon DK-300 plinth, think about tonearm and cartridge budget then, and find yourself a nice vintage tonearm, for MM cartridges Denon DA-401 tonearm is absolutely amazing. This is complete setup (DP80, DK300. DA401) and if you will replace stock feet with AT616 Pneumatic insulators this will be superb setup.

If you need help with parts ask in direct.

P.S. And what you're asking for is not a custom made turntable. Back in the days it was normal to buy everything separately when it comes to high fidelity (drive, plinth, tonearm, cartridge). You can't make a turntable yourself, all you can make yourself is plinth, nothing else. 

Thank you so much for this infos, will take a look at the Dr.Feickert protractor, and try to learn how works, this is new for me, very interesting!

Many thanks.