DIY 300b SET monoblock

Hello,

My father is an experienced amatuer radio operator who has a large, self restored radio collection of both solid state and tube. In addition he is an electrical engineer of 40+years.

He has offered to build me a tube amp and preamp if I can do most of the research for parts and schematics.

I am wondering if anyone has an experience in this and can suggest a very good set of plans that sound great. I believe that the plans can either be a simple design that a beginer could handle or something for someone who has ALOT of experience, depending on which final product is better. Preferably, 300b would be good, but other tube types are acceptable.

The same goes for a preamp.

Thanks_
someguy

Showing 3 responses by jadem6

Hi Darkmoebius, I wish I knew what your moniker meant so I would know how to abbreviate it. Darkmoebius is way too hard to write, and I'm sure I could have some fun with it if I understood it.

Thank you, this is great stuff. I have had a pair of Cary 300B SET monoblocks in my system. There are some down sides to the low wattage, but I have had many times where my mood for music would fit the 300B perfectly. $1500 would be a reasonable amount for me to have a second amp option in my system. I'll read over all the great info you provided.

jd
Mr. dark and morbid, you told me, but I still don't understand. "I'm not a smart man." Oh, Morbius...

... never mind.

That would be an interesting experiment, the Plinius and SET. I'm not right now in a position to add a set of interconnects and speaker cables, but I love the idea. I did not however feel I was lacking with the eight watt Cary's, at least where I would use them. I would use them on acoustic, female and intimate recordings. Rock and classical would be the Plinius. I'm going to do some research, I may contact you off thread if I decide I could afford your amp.

Thanks for all the great discussion.

jd