Dismantle B&W 802D

Hi there,

Looking for someone who knows how to pull apart the head section of a B&W 802D to get the tweeter and midrange separated.
My missus plugged an RCA direct from the source to the Power amp on one channel and when i pressed play i sent that speaker to the moon. Tweeters blown. both woofers are poling and sunken 10mm back into the cabinet. I've only had the speakers for a month just to rub salt into it.

I think the mid is ok. the tweet & woofers are definately shot as the tweeter when measured directly from the crossover is open circuit and the woofers have varying resistance when you move them by hand.

I would greatly appreciate if someone has the smarts and knows how to remove the head section and get into the midrange and tweeter enclosure so i can either send the top section away for repair or replace the tweeter voice coil myself.

B&W seem to have all of the info regarding repair of these very well tied up as i have scoured the internet looking for some manuals or a forum to no avail.

Any information would be greatly appreciated and i figure this would be the place to ask. Thanks
ellrotts
I would think that right now, you would want information on how to pull apart her head section.
Just a suggestion, you might try removing the woofer (I think that model has two woofers, so it would be the upper one), and then look up to the top inside, and see if there are any fasteners there for the mid/tweeter shell.

Just a guess, but that is what I would do. Hopefully, someone that's actually had one apart will chime in. Good luck!

Regards,
Dan
i managed to poke around in there and find out how to remove the tweeter and mid. the all come out the front. the mid is removed by undoing the big bolt thing at the back and then can be pulled clear of the enclosure and disconnected. the tweeter is essentially the same. unscrew by hand the aluminium tube at the tear sticking out of the black bit and the tweeter comes out the front to be disconnected. i want to try and do this myself as transport will almost guarantee someone will disrespect the speaker or put a dint in it. appreciate the input chaps.
so now i have pulled out all of the drivers from the speaker enclosure (802d). it would appear that the B&W speakers are just speakers like all others. all the curves and polish daunted me to go ahead but i did. it was easy. considering what i see inside the box, i can say that buying special speaker cables is a waste of money because its just good old cable inside with spade connectors. all joints are solder. they sound great dont get me wrong but everything is just the same as a normal speaker. well built i might add.
I can say that buying special speaker cables is a waste of money because its just good old cable inside with spade connectors.

Special speaker cables are a waste of money anyway, but you have now uncovered what knowledgeable techie knows - that the cabling inside almost any product, especially electronics, negates any potential value from special cabling, if there were any value, and there isn't. Power cables and outlets are the egregious offenders... how could they possibly work as advertised?
Irvrobinson said:
Power cables and outlets are the egregious offenders... how could they possibly work as advertised?

Yes, but in spite of logic and reason, they do make a difference.
I personally believe that Screened Power Cables from a Power Conditioner would make a difference. Screened cables directly from a mains outlet on the other hand would be useless.
High Quality RCA's i believe too would make a difference but after amplification just good quality standard copper it all you would ever need and "hearing" a difference i expect would be totally placebolic.

I made my own power cables and RCA's and i saw a notable difference from the RCA's. the addition of the power cable slightly reduced background hiss.

My setup has 18 power cables running parallel to each other so it extremely electrically noisy. Bearing in mind that i changed all of the cables over to screened cables, not just the sound power cables.