Discussion of Class D Amps Application & Experiences

With all the time off that our current situation has allowed recently, I became intrigued by the idea of class D amplification. I have always been against this type of amplifier but the more I have read the more I have also learned. There are lots of threads here on this subject many of which result in arguments about which amplifier class is better. I do not want to do that here. As I consider a class D amp I need to let you know that I currently use a fairly powerful class A/B SS amp and pre-amp into an efficient pair of speakers rated at 4 ohms. My choice of equipment has always been focused on musicality over absolute detail. I want the music to sound natural and not sterile. I seem to have achieved that sound. If I switched to class D amplification that would also be my intended goal although a bit more refined detail would be fine. I have considered pairing the amp with a tube pre to help achieve my desired sound. So why would I change? My goal would be to save money over my current gear while maintaining my desired sound.

I have researched brands such as Nord, Primare, AGD & Nuprime. I have also looked at brands such as Jeff Rowland & Merrill but those are way out of my price range. My target would be $6000 - $7000 or less. I'm about performance not price. So given that background information I would like to hear from those who have made the leap, what your experience has been (likes and dislikes), what amp did you replace and any comments about one brand over the other. Your experience with demos etc. Do you use a tube or SS line stage?
Thanks
128x128falconquest
Manny, next level tweaks for out beloved and bespoked 1200s?

Where did you hear this?
Ric - Maybe I misunderstood the post regarding the VTV Purify was a possible tweek for the 1200. Kindly enlight me as I may have it all wrong. Manny 
I went from:

Parasound P7 / A23s

to

P7 / IcePower 250 ASP

to

Luxman 507ux

The first change was audibly neutral. I could not tell the difference between the Parasound A23s and the equivalent IcePower modules, for the good and the bad.

I switched to Luxman because:

• Meters! < grin >
  • Tube-like midrange- Better extension in the bass and treble- Transparent tone controls (which the P7 did not fully have)

All of these to me sounded better than Pass, which to me sounds lean and scratchy, as if I’m listening to a dirty record even when the source is digital. Did I switch from IcePower to Luxman because Class A/B was better than D? Absolutely not. My trials with Parasound and IcePower proved those two models were simply indistinguishable. And this was the real problem. In retrospect the A23s and IcePower module were too warm and syrupy. The Luxman more open and made the previous two feel constrained.

In retrospect I can't really say if the character of the Parasound/IcePower was really due to the amps or the preamp itself.  It might have been.

Hope this helps,

Erik
@falconquest

One thing I’ve observed over the years is that every amp I’ve owned has sounded different from the others; sometimes the differences were small, sometimes large. I’ve concluded that there is not better or worse as much as which amps satisfy the most preferences and at the same time have the least objectionable features/sound.

Three years ago I owned my first class d amp…a Crown XLS 2000. The overall presentation of this inexpensive amp was slightly forward, strong low end (not especially detailed), decent midrange, a little hot on the top end (especially the sibilance region)…big soundstage but with no depth.

For the heck of it I decided to try a Nuprime STA 9 which they advertise as class A+D with the class A part being the input front end. This amp sounded similar to the Crown but with more depth to the soundstage and maybe a little more sibilance.

Next I decided to go back to class A/B with a Parasound Halo…better in every regard than the Crown or the Nuprime, smooth, musical, powerful.

Then after reading a number of user reviews referencing a blending of solid state and tube characteristics in the Digital Amplifier Company products, I decided to try their new 2Cherry…class d not based on modules but on discreet circuitry designed/engineered by the company founder.

Right out of the box I was pretty surprised…not only did it seem that a layer of haze that I didn’t know was there was lifted, but the music just came alive. Not only were the dynamics improved, but so was the tone and the sense of aliveness…and the soundstage became much more holographic. Eighteen months later, I still love this amp.

People love their Pass Labs, their Halos, their Nords…etc. They may or may not like a Cherry Amp better than their current amp….the only way to know is to utilize the return policies and give them a try. And, for those who prefer monoblocks amps or amps that weight more than 20lbs. Cherry has Class d versions that will satisfy those people as well.