Discuss The Viv Lab Rigid Arm

I am trying to do my due diligence about this arm. I am just having a hard time getting my head around this idea of zero overhang and no offset. Does this arm really work the way it is reported to do?

neonknight

@gzm I appreciate you like the flexibility of the Viv being free standing, what I found is that by securing it to the surface where it is mounted with a couple of pieces of double sided sticky tape wrought benefits. I suppose you could also use very very thin slithers of blue tack. Worth a try if you haven't already.

@kennyc you still haven't scratched the itch with the Viv yet.

@gzm 

" This seems advantageous to me because the largest source of vibrations is probably my turntable itself since it contains a heavy spinning platter as well as a motor."

Keeping the armbase off the turntable won't solve your perceived problems.  The stylus will pick up all the vibration of which you speak.  I'm not well up on Lenco, but my father had one and it was idler wheel driven - do they have new models, are they still trading?  Anyhow, if your turntable is really this bad, you need to upgrade.

@lewm, come on Lew you ought to know better than that. None of my cartridges has a significant zenith error. Every last one was fully examine and carefully set up with a very high power USB microscope, and not one of those cheap $60 ones either. Getting to the proper 92 degree VTA can be tricky with asymmetric styluses like the Replicant 100 and Gyger S. It helps to be able to see it in technicolor. I can snap lines and the program will automatically compute the angle.  I set it on a 180 gm record. The amount of error going to 200 or down to 130 is miniscule, a few minutes maybe, Fortunately, The Schroder CB has a fine scale on it's post so once I have it set up I can return to the setting for any of my cartridges instantly without having to set up the microscope. Time to go skiing.

The man who dies with the most tools wins:-)

I love how some anoint themselves as God of all things analog and keeper of how all music must sound.  So glad that we get to chose different interpretations and not have to rely on a solo source to experience the beauty of this hobby. A world with only one conductor is devoid of color and shading.