Discuss The Viv Lab Rigid Arm

I am trying to do my due diligence about this arm. I am just having a hard time getting my head around this idea of zero overhang and no offset. Does this arm really work the way it is reported to do?

neonknight

I have had the 13" carbon fibre arm paired with a VAS cartridge and Lenco (on a slate/aluminum composite plinth) for a short time now and the resulting sound is the best I've heard from my system.  

It's not a perfect system and there's always room for improvement but I greatly appreciate the Viv Lab for several reasons.

It sounds very good, from the first to the last track.  I won't even try to come up with an explanation.  Not my job to know why.  My job is to enjoy the music.

Arm set-up is simple.  I don't think this can be said for many (or perhaps any) sophisticated tonearms.  Try it at a dealer: bring your own cartridge, mount it, and see for yourself.

Mine is mounted off the plinth and sits on a large slab of metal.  This seems advantageous to me because the largest source of vibrations is probably my turntable itself since it contains a heavy spinning platter as well as a motor.  There are 3 threaded holes at the bottom of the armbase so I'm certain one could attach it to the plinth with some careful measurement and drilling.  But I would not do this since the arm's mobility allows one to move it to a second or third deck.  It also allows different cartridge to be installed and positioned easily.  So I applaud Viv Lab for bringing to market this arm that lets the user move it easily.  One arm may serve multiple decks.  And with the detachable headshell, swapping cartridges and re-positioning the arm has become a simpler chore.   

I also appreciate the magnetized oil used in the bearing reservoir.  It's a brilliant material application, and its implementation is again simple.  It's nice too that carbon fiber is an option.

I welcome this change from convention.  I'm glad to have bought the arm sight unseen (and unheard) and I truly think it's a gamble that's paying off with every single record I play.

There seems to be any logical arguments why the ViV shouldn’t sound good. Mostly/all from those who have not tried it or even heard it.

On the other hand, there’s a lot of very positive empirical reports from actual users. I’ll likely purchase a ViV to accompany my 4point, Schroeder CB-L, and my Schick (for SPUs) to try out.  Maybe this arm may scratch my linear tracker itch for lower noticeable distortion at the end of records especially for orchestra finishes.

@intactaudio, Not true. We also have our brains to judge designs by established criteria. Most of us refuse to use our ears constructively. Listening back and forth to two samples makes it easy to pick out the winner.  ABing equipment is the single best way to determine what actually sounds better. Our brains and ears are not wired to do this in isolation. Anybody who thinks they can is more likely than not to have an unsatisfactory system. Remember the first time you sat in front of a real SOTA system. I do and my jaw must have dropped three feet. Most people have never heard that system and are out to sea without a compass. @mckinneymike , I could care less what sounds satisfy you. Chances are you have no idea what you are listening to other than it pleases you. I am after accuracy and I know for an absolute fact that paying close attention to manageable and programmable factors leads to the kind of sound that drops peoples jaws. A good example of this is the equality of both channels. In order to produce the most accurate image the two channels have to have identical frequency response curves and no group delays. Two identical speakers placed in different locations will have significantly different response curves blurring the image. Same for group delays and phase issues. All this can be easily measured and remedied. Who here has the facility do do this besides me?? 

Mijostyn, are you paying attention? Zenith. Most likely none of your cartridges is properly aligned due to zenith errors. Which means you’re in no position to preach about TAE. The ancient alignment gods, Lofgren and Baerwald, didn’t have to think about zenith because all styli were conical in 1940, not to mention most turntables were wind-up powered and depended upon acoustic amplification.

@lewm somebody has been doing some homework 😃

@mijostyn talking of jaw dropping, my jaw drops everyone I read one of your posts in this thread.