Disco...yep, I'm going there

We've all read the comments about disco music, most seem to heavily weigh on the side of "it sucks". I cannot say how many times I've read that two word remark......yet, without any explanation. One thing for sure, that era defined our consciousness and is an important part of our musical history.

Frankly, I love listening to several artists from that era ... Bee Gees, Donna Summer, KC & The Sunshine Band...………..

I really can't understand how anyone can listen to these artists and not be moved to get up and dance. That IS an emotional connection. The exact connection most of us long for. So, what's the problem?
128x128slaw
Post removed 
Wow this post took me back to the beginning of my musical coming-of-age time period, when I would argue with friends and siblings about what was acceptable to play on the boombox while we played bball or foursquare in the driveway.  Girls all loved pop and disco tunes, guys preferred rock, the more anthemic, the better.  I think if I would have caught on to the link between girls and their love of music they can dance to, my high school experience would have been very different.  Instead, I spent years in my bedroom listening to "real music" on my "real stereo" and feeling very superior.  Luckily, eventually, I found there were girls who liked The Cure, Talking Heads, New Order.  Dance music that wasn't disco....or was it?

And of course my young adult daughters and middle age wife still prefer Bee Gees, Donna Summer, Abba to Talking Heads, Jonathon Richman, Steely Dan.  I guess I need to try Daft Punk rather than LCDSS while we are doing the dishes?

Thanks OP!
I was only 12 at the peak of Disco in '77, but even then I thought it was cool to blend rock drums, funk bass, and an orchestral string section to create dance music.  I've always been a fan of well produced music, and Disco had some amazing productions..... sure a lot of it was horribly repetitive and went nowhere musically, but the sound quality and production quality was top notch.  I'm still amazed at the string arrangements and performance quality of that time.... and that was pre-computer and digital editing.   I don't hear that kind of quality in any of today's modern music, outside of Hollywood soundtracks.