Disappointing short life of NOS preamp tube

Being sarcastic really.

I only got 7 years out of  50's 12au7 RCA black plate. That may indicate 5 more randomly futzing out the rest of this year.

With the state of tube pricing now, tubes definitely not on my list of unnecessary audiophool spending.

I was really hoping these things going for 20, especially them just being preamp tubes, not a power tube. Fortunately, I have one more for backup, plus the 6 stock tubes in the shoebox.

Such is life. I'm more impressed by my relatively quick troubleshooting, avoiding severe neurosis. Less than 5 minutes-patting myself on the back, and praise from the boss.

tablejockey

"It sounds like around 5,000 hours."

ghdprentice- I''m  thinking the tubes are now somewhere in the 5-7K zone, so yeah

I'm not surprised to see one futz out now. 

Anyone remember buying the 5 pack when they were "new?"

When you look at it from that perspective, This journey and or hobby isn't really that expensive, When you add up all the hours years of enjoyment you get from a component that you love the sound of, or the synergy of a well balanced complete system, I think it's well worth it,,,,,,,Then again I don't want to pay for any exorbitantly high.prices.