Disappointed w/ Klipsch Heresy III. Now what?

I'd be very grateful for some help with a quandary.

I recently replaced my Ohm Walsh 1000 speakers with Heresy III speakers, running two-channel from a Rega Brio. I was pretty excited about the Heresy IIIs based on reviews — they were efficient, so my 35-watt amp would get the job done; they were supposed to have real punch in the low mid-range, so I could hear the upright bass clearly; they reportedly had excellent imaging; and best of all, they were supposed to sound great at low volumes. They are also indisputably beautiful, which was an important factor for my wife. (The Ohms are elegant, but you have to be an audio lover to see their beauty.)

I set them up, and . . . not so bad, pretty good. Especially loud. In fact the louder the better. Crank them up and they sing. But loud is not really an option with a new baby. So how do they sound quiet? They sound like the band is trapped in shoe box. Really in two shoe boxes because the L and R don't merge that well. The sound stage is tiny. All the detail is gone, the joy is gone. They are no fun at all. Music just seems like a bunch of noise.

But I want to believe! I want to make these speakers work. So I am faced with a quandary. I could:

1. Buy stands, a subwoofer and a tube amp, all of which people in various forums have recommended to improve the various failings I hear now.

2. Replace the Rega with something much more powerful and pull the Ohms out of the closet. (Suboptimal because it will make my wife sad because of the aforementioned perceived ugliness.)

3. Just start all over again. Different amp, different speakers.

I'd kind of prefer number 1. But I don't want to end up with a bunch of stuff designed to solve a problem and then not have that problem solved! (And I'd also just as soon avoid getting a subwoofer.)

Final note. Positioning is an intractable nightmare. It is the one thing that I can't really change, because of how our living room is layed out. It is obviously a big problem though. The living room is a big rectangle, 18 x 40 feet, and the speakers are near the corners of the 18-foot ends, on either side of a couch. I can move them around — closer or further from the couch, closer or further from the wall. But I can't raise them above the height of the couch or move them out in front or over to another wall. That discussion went nowhere!

What should I do?

brooklynluke
@macnut5,

Yes, I do own Heresy IIIs. My pair is about 4 months old. I have them only 8" from the forward wall and their bass is deep enough for most types of music. 

58 Hz is the -4db roll off point according to Klipsch, and based on my listening I'd have to concur. I'm not saying the Heresys don't benefit from a sub, but in my average sized living room, they certainly don't roll off anywhere near 120 Hz. If you have your speakers placed something like 30" from a wall (a typical bass kill zone) then I wouldn't be surprised if you're missing a lot below 100 Hz.

If you can, keep them both, at least for a while. Learn to appreciate what each technology brings. Both have advantages and serious shortcomings, imo. A simple switch from omni to HE box is not an easy transition. 

Stay loose, you'll need to. :) 
Sorry OP but I don't think the Heresys are your cup of tea. I have a pair of H3s and I have run them with a number of amps including Quicksilver mini-monos. The Heresys do not image all that well and need a little juice to get bouncing. A sub does help but they are not a reference level system. I would not spend a lot of time or money trying to change the way they sound. You might like the sound of the reference series a lot better. Hope this helps.
I would get good sounding earphones and a dedicated amp....you will not get anywhere near the sound that provides in speakers .   Your baby and wife would love it.
I’d recommend you sell your new Heresys, get another pair of Ohm 1000s, and put your money where you should have--in a more powerful amp. That’s all you needed with your previous system. 35wpc for a pair of Ohm floorstanders was a bad match, no matter how mellifluous the Brio can sound.

The Ohm 1000s have a realistic bass extension down to 34 Hz. Although the Ohm 1000’s sensitivity rating is 88dB (which is pretty good for a speaker like that), you need a low output impedance and hefty power supply to make that deep bass come alive.

By contrast, the Heresy is down a claimed -4dB at 58 Hz! You could pump all the watts and current you want into the Heresy, but its bass extension would be MIA nearly a full octave short of the Ohm’s low frequency extension. You'll never get the sound you want with that much bass missing.

The Heresy was never designed as a full-range speaker. It was made to complement a pair of Klipschorns, which by design *must* be placed in the corners. The Heresy was designed to fill in the gap between such widely spaced speakers. The corner speakers made plenty of bass, so bass wasn’t a primary consideration for the Heresy design.

Trying to recapture the linear, phase-coherent real-life frequency extension of the Walshes via the Heresys will bring on endless tail chasing. You could play that system 24/7 for 5 years and the "break-in" will never get that last octave of bass. You’re not going to get the subtlety, nuance, bass extension, and room-filling dispersion  of the Ohms either. You could add a subwoofer or two to add some bass, but then you’ve added another $1K expense, only to have gone from a pair of elegant Ohm columns with a room-filling omnidirectional pattern to a less compatible combination of low-powered British integrated, 60-yr-old design horn-based main speakers, and powered subs.

Cut your losses; Get rid of the Heresys and Brio, get another pair of Ohm 1000s and an amp that they deserve. You spent $2k on the Heresys and didn’t get what you wanted. Add subs to fill in the bottom octave and you’re out another $1K minimum for a total of $3K. And that’s no guarantee you’ll like the results.

For $2500 you could have stayed with the Ohms and gotten a Rogue Sphinx v2 with 100/200 wpc into 8/4 ohms and a tube front end, all for $1295. For $2500 you could have gotten the monstrously powerful Parasound Halo integrated amp rated at 160/250 watts/channel into 8/4 ohms with an MM/MC phono preamp, plus a DAC that handles pretty much every digital format. It’s a Stereophile Class A recommended component, by far the least expensive integrated amp in that category.

Having chased audio nirvana over a span of 45 years (including some time as an audio sales guy) I’ve developed a sense of choosing my battles, and I think you could spend more time, money, and frustration trying to get a pair of Heresys powered by a Brio to meet your requirements than to return to what you already had and replace the Brio with a more appropriate amp.