Disadvantages of buying old solid state.

I am looking to upgrade from a single ended amp to a balanced because of the purchase of a new balanced pre. Due to budgetary reasons I am forced to buy a used unit. I am interested in the Pass .5 series as what I've heard of the .8 I was not happy with. There are those who prefer the .5. sound as well. I was told however that buying such an old unit I might find that the bias has changed. Any experiences with buying old solid state and any negative consequences? I would very much like to hear anyone's views on the matter.

Thank you.

roxy1927

buy the amp and send it to me for a check-up and upgrades.  Couldn't be any easier.

I’ve never had a problem buying used. I did my homework as best I could and always realized I might have to do updates. 

All the best.

JD

I bought an ARC pre new. And for some reason I have in my head it will sound better used fully balanced rather than single ended. People have praised how wonderful it sounds with an 80s or 160m but unfortunately at this time those are not in my budget.

@roxy1927,

I agree with Schiit recommendation above. Go to the Schiit Audio website and look at TYR mono block amps. $3200 a pair new.

Mike

https://www.schiit.com/products/tyr

+1 on Schiit equipment.

Balanced interconnects are the best because of noise rejection, but unless you have very long runs or your wires are a tangled mess behind your rack, you probably won't be able to detect the difference.