Dirt-Cheap Phono Pre-Amp

What are your choice for phono stage (both MM/MC please) price used $300 and under? Thanks, Rute.
rute1

Showing 2 responses by tatelman2284

I forgot to mention the Acurus P10. It's an MM/MC phono stage, still in production, lists, I think, for $400, and I've seen a few on eBay lately, selling for perhaps $225. I auditioned one some months back and its a very nice unit. The Aragon 47K is even better, better perhaps than the older Bryston phono stages, but on the used market I think they're around $400.
Best phono stage for under $300 is probably a full-function preamplifier: the Bryston .5B, though I foolishly didn't bid past that amount for a 12B which has more inputs as well as an MC step up transformer. People happily pay $300+ for the Bryston BP-1 phono stage, not realizing that it's identical to the onboard phono stage used in the Bryston .5B, 11B and 12B preamps, and a very fine phono stage it is. Only difference is some 12Bs incorporate a step-up transformer for MC cartridges as well. Another thing a lot of people don't know is that Bryston will increase the gain on the stock phono stage --- as well as often make upgrades you didn't ask for --- I paid $50. It's factory-set to 35 dB, but sounds better set to 40 or 42 dB, especially if you're using a high output MC, which typically produce 2-2.5 volts. Even the phono stages on the latest, highly-regarded Bryston BP-20 and BP-25 preamps and on the B-60P integrated are the same circuit design, but with better parts. I've had this information directly from Chriss Russell, Bryston VP If you want to spend a little more, I've seen Meitner PA6i preamps with MM or MC phono stage for as little as $400 --- and for that you get a full-function preamp that compares to the highest of the high end of the period (1988-91), e.g., Levinson, Krell, Rowland, etc.. In short, I think the best phono stage deals require buying a full preamp. Also much more saleable if you decide to upgrade or whatever. Hope this helps. Joel.