Directionality of wire

I am a fan of Chris Sommovigo's Black Cat and Airwave interconnects. I hope he does not mind me quoting him or naming him on this subject, but Chris does not mark directionality of his IC's. I recently wrote him on the subject and he responded that absent shunting off to ground/dialectric designs, the idea of wire directionality is a complete myth. Same with resistors and fuses. My hunch is that 95% of IC "manufacturers", particularly the one man operations of under $500 IC's mark directionality because they think it lends the appearance of technical sophistication and legitimacy. But even among the "big boys", the myth gets thrown around like so much accepted common knowledge. Thoughts? Someone care to educate me on how a simple IC or PC or speaker cable or fuse without a special shunting scheme can possibly have directionality? It was this comment by Stephen Mejias (then of Audioquest and in the context of Herb Reichert's review of the AQ Niagra 1000) that prompts my question;

Thank you for the excellent question. AudioQuest provided an NRG-10 AC cable for the evaluation. Like all AudioQuest cables, our AC cables use solid conductors that are carefully controlled for low-noise directionality. We see this as a benefit for all applications -- one that becomes especially important when discussing our Niagara units. Because our AC cables use conductors that have been properly controlled for low-noise directionality, they complement the Niagara System’s patented Ground-Noise Dissipation Technology. Other AC cables would work, but may or may not allow the Niagara to reach its full potential. If you'd like more information on our use of directionality to minimize the harmful effects of high-frequency noise, please visit http://www.audioquest.com/directionality-its-all-about-noise/ or the Niagara 1000's owner's manual (available on our website).

Thanks again.

Stephen Mejias
AudioQuest

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/gramophone-dreams-15-audioquest-niagara-1000-hifiman-he1000-v2-p...

128x128fsonicsmith
Post removed 
but nobody has ever measured directional wire or fuses. I'd say that's because it doesn't exist. Pathological denial of the existence of a phenomenon beyond measurement? I guess if rational thought is pathological, I'm guilty.
+1, it's all voodoo, led by you know who.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/81/6b/b2/816bb2ce803a876c3b46601f55730cac.jpg

Cheers George
kosst_amojan
138 posts
08-21-2017 10:16pm
Huh.... Can’t measure it? That’s the problem with things that exist purely in your head, isn’t it? I mean, we live in a say when we can study the most microscopic, nuanced phenomenon in the universe with obscene precision, but nobody has ever measured directional wire or fuses. I’d say that’s because it doesn’t exist. Pathological denial of the existence of a phenomenon beyond measurement? I guess if rational thought is pathological, I’m guilty.

What a drama queen! You just can’t read. Directionality has already been measured. If you would do your homework you’d know that. What I meant was, if you would slow down and use your ears instead of your mouth, is that you naysayers, specifically, won’t (rpt won't) measure it. You know, use a volt ohm meter and measure the resistance. Then you would know. Follow? But, no you pathological naysayers would rather keep yakking. Is that rational?
georgehifi
but nobody has ever measured directional wire or fuses. I’d say that’s because it doesn’t exist. Pathological denial of the existence of a phenomenon beyond measurement? I guess if rational thought is pathological, I’m guilty.
+1, it’s all voodoo, led by you know who.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/81/6b/b2/816bb2ce803a876c3b46601f55730cac.jpg

>>>>More tripe served up fresh by the leader of the pathological peanut gallery. 🐒 🐒 🐒 🐒

Why are are people on remote islands in the Pacific so superstitious? Who knows?
Some of this stuff is so simple and so easy to get to the truth.

Not being an engineer, or designer, or even producer of bulk wire, but just an end user and former electrical & electronics worker and technician and audio hobbyist for some decades, I’ll bite.

The ONLY directional cabling I know of are those with the little T former IMP matching boxes, and power cords.

Though, Power Cords especially. Why?

Because you can not reverse the ends. They don’t fit. Even if you push really hard!!

As for all other cables, SE/XLR IC, speaker wires, USB, Ethernet, HP cables, barring termination issues, and UNLESS there is an arrow printed on the exterior of the cable jackets, they MUST be bi-directional cables.

(Hint – if no cop is seen, use cables in either direction)

If an arrow is adorning the exterior of a cable, I’ll simply abide by the implied wishes of the maker… until it gets removed and later re inserted, then its anybody’s guess which way one or both wires wind up being connected….. and BTW…. I’ve yet to hear either alterations or degredations to the audio.

Nearly ALL connecting and speaker wires are bi directional for one simple reason. Cost.

Does anyone know exactly how much it costs for cable makers to have itty bitty microscopic signs made up for the electrons so they’ll know which way traffic should flow?

Its immense! And, there must be many of them posted all along the lengths of the conductors!

You will need “This way” signs on one side of each conductor, and “Wrong way’ signs on the other side of every conductor. Although there is an argument for having only one of each at opposite ends of each conductor.

It could run a cable manufacturer into bankruptcy! Although it opens the door for a brand new industry and more jobs.

Naturally people would simply transition from making tiny scarecrows and Elvis manikins for Ant farms as the onset of miniature crows infesting current ant Farm crops are at all time lows.

Of course, even proper signage won’t always keep traffic flowing properly. There will always be those electrons that are texting and driving or watching Youtube on their cell phones. Usually, it’s the more immature electrons who transgress.

Don’t believe me…. As is always the case here… try reversing one or both supposed directional cables and listen for yourself over the course of a few days or a week!!!

Why not? They are your wires, right?