Directional cables - what does that really mean?

Some (most) cables do sound differently depending on which end is connected to which component. It is asserted that the conductor grain orientation is determining the preferential current flow. That might well be, but in most (all) cases the audio signal is AC (electrons going back and forth in the cable), without a DC component to justify a directional flow. Wouldn't that mean that in the 1st order, a phase change should give the same effect as a cable flip?

I'm curious whether there is a different view on this that I have not considered yet.
cbozdog
Post removed 
elizabeth
If they are directional... Are they MARKED North? South East West?
Maybe you bought a cable to use in the South by SouthWest with an elevation to the beginning to end of 27 degrees downslope, only to turn back and rise at an angle 63 degrees to final point due North? What then???

>>>>Always nice to see some more bloviation from the Wicked Witch of the West.
Post removed 
If someone doubts that a wire is directional because they don't hear any difference, why don't they just say they don't hear any difference?

Because then we would know.
If wires get their "directionality"  depending on how they are drawn out at the factory what does that mean for when you make a interconnect or speaker cable?  

I have recently been experimenting with DIY interconnects and I have to admit I didn't pay any attention to how the wire comes off of a spool.  I cut everything to size and who knows if any of the wires got their directions reversed when I put everything together.  If I mismatch their direction will that cable always be a Dud?  Or will it sound better since the "diodes" are canceling themselves out during the positive and negative voltage swings?