Direct Drive vs. Idler Drive vs. Belt drive

I'd like to know your thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of each drive system. I can see that direct drive is more in vogue over the last few years but is it superior to the other drive systems? I've had first-hand experiences with two out of the three drive systems but looking to learn more.
scar972
^^^^

Nope...today you just pick a tt and cart and hope for the best I think.

According to some older friends I know of - that's the way they described it being done in the 60's......... 8^0

I was born in the 60's so can't say. Got my first turntable in the 70's.

Who exactly is trialing tts w the same carts? I can't think of anyone trying out tts in a retail store and moving the same cart from one tt to the next.

I assume you mean two same tonearms , two same cartridges ?

As posted on this thread earlier.  

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/direct-drive-vs-idler-drive-vs-belt-drive/post?postid=1912016...

Mike, you really need to get a Reed 5T and tell us how you like it. If I had $20K disposable now I would go for it.
Mik in the UK has one and likes it a lot, but prefers the CS Port Linear tracker......which i love. so not in the market for a different linear tracker. and the Reed is very expensive.

for a pivoted arm, my favorite is the gimbal bearing Durand Tosca (similar to the SAT).....which is on my Saskia. best pivoted arm i’ve heard.
Who exactly is trialling tts w the same carts? I can’t think of anyone trying out tts in a retail store and moving the same cart from one tt to the next.
That’s just so...70s-90s Lol.

Can’t remember when i was buying a turntable in retail store, probably in 1998 last time.

In the UK, I can count the dealers on one hand who can even fit a cart probably, let alone move it btwn rigs.

Is it possible to come with your own cartridge mounted on your own headshell ? Honestly i don’t care about dealers

Nope...today you just pick a tt and cart and hope for the best I think.

Exactly, normally you’re buying a Drive, Plinth, Tonearm, Headshell, Cartridge ... separately, assembling it yourself and comparing one turntable to another (if you have a few). It’s a part of the hobby, great fun!

I have more fun swapping tonearms and cartridges on my Luxman PD-444, because i think the turntable is perfect and it was designed for two tonearms with armboards that are so easy to adjust for any PS distance quickly. Clever design, very user friendly! Denon DP-80 is another story.

As you can see turntables are 40 years old, so no retail store needed to buy them online.

Dear @spiritofmusic  : ""   I can't think of anyone trying out tts in a retail store and moving the same cart from one tt to the next..."""

me neither but when you own two different TT/tonearms you can make comparison of a cartridge performance with each of those TT/tonearms. 

According the ML room/system Agon pictures he mounted ( at least pictured. ) the same cartridge with today 2 different TT/tonearms.
Again, not at a retail store.

R.