Direct Drive vs. Idler Drive vs. Belt drive

I'd like to know your thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of each drive system. I can see that direct drive is more in vogue over the last few years but is it superior to the other drive systems? I've had first-hand experiences with two out of the three drive systems but looking to learn more.
scar972
Dear  @alexberger :  ""  It is weird that people on this forum are not familiar with EMT 950 and 948 DD turntables. .."""

not really, many of us are familiar with. Here exist several threads on the EMT, I participated on at least two of them. This is one of those several threads and before and after it exist more ( this is only an example. ):

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/emt-turntables-as-good-as-other-great-vintage-tt

the things are that you are almost new in Agon. An audio friend of mine works in a radio/tv big network  and he invited to a listenning session down there and ovbiously a " tour " around the company. The listening session was using one of the 10+ 950 TTs they used to and during the " trip " to the company installations they had only one SP-10MK2.

Btw, yes your friend is rigth, the SP10-2 sounds sterile. I owned 3 samples that I sold when my Denons outperformed with some easy to it. The Denon servo design makes the differences because the 10-2 specs are higher than the ones on Denon units but specs never says all. The MK3 is different but still with some trouble in the servo design.

Now and speaking of EMT, Technics and Denon the EMT and SP10 as the Denon 308 and DP100M were designed expressily for radio stations not for a home audio systems.
Latter on came the Technics MK3 and DP100 for home systems. 

R.

Raul you rascal. You got banned from a forum? Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. 

In my own experience distinguishing between excellent turntables using the same cartridge is difficult and likely more dependent on my mood than any specific difference in performance. I am more inclined to look at more practical issues such as stability (can I jump up and down without the record skipping). How hard can I bang on the table before hearing it.
Ease of use. I don't care what it looks like as long as it is well constructed. I discriminate among the tables by drive type given the inherent weakness indigenous to each type.  

Lewm, It is not really a filter effect although there is an anti aliasing filter up there but the high end frequency of CDs is limited by the sampling rate. If you over sample you can push the filter up higher reducing it's effects in the audio band but you do not push the frequency response up higher. One of the nicest albums ever recorded The Trinity Session was recorded in 44.1/16 so there is more at work here.
There is absolutely no problem with the bass on CDs. They do just fine and are generally cleaner than vinyl because of lack of mechanical considerations. Remember, for the most part I prefer vinyl to CDs. 

Ralph, isn't it incredible that you can get a rock to vibrate that fast!

Mike, you really need to get a Reed 5T and tell us how you like it. If I had $20K disposable now I would go for it. 
In my own experience distinguishing between excellent turntables using the same cartridge is difficult and likely more dependent on my mood than any specific difference in performance.

true

Who exactly is trialling tts w the same carts? I can't think of anyone trying out tts in a retail store and moving the same cart from one tt to the next.
That's just so...70s-90s Lol.
In the UK, I can count the dealers on one hand who can even fit a cart probably, let alone move it btwn rigs.
Nope...today you just pick a tt and cart and hope for the best I think.
^^^^

Nope...today you just pick a tt and cart and hope for the best I think.

According to some older friends I know of - that's the way they described it being done in the 60's......... 8^0

I was born in the 60's so can't say. Got my first turntable in the 70's.

Who exactly is trialing tts w the same carts? I can't think of anyone trying out tts in a retail store and moving the same cart from one tt to the next.

I assume you mean two same tonearms , two same cartridges ?

As posted on this thread earlier.  

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/direct-drive-vs-idler-drive-vs-belt-drive/post?postid=1912016...