Direct Drive vs. Idler Drive vs. Belt drive

I'd like to know your thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of each drive system. I can see that direct drive is more in vogue over the last few years but is it superior to the other drive systems? I've had first-hand experiences with two out of the three drive systems but looking to learn more.
scar972
Hi @chakster ,
My friend I talked about have a huge experience. Actually he is the most famost vintage audio intusiast in Israel. So I trust his opinion. 
Regards,
Alex

As a massive fan of analog, the best recording I've ever heard is a digital version of Sarah Vaughan, and the worst, Metallica's Death Magnetic lp. 
All in the mastering.
But across the range of Golden Age recordings, I'll bet on vinyl more times than cd or streaming.
Dear @mikelavigne : Thank’s. Your first sentence was my own answer when/after I posted. It was obvious but I can’t seen before.

""" all three challenge my big Studer’s for musical rightness.. """

there is no best way to explain the top class all of those 3 TTs that are a true challenge for any medium.

You really have deep experience along your very high resolution room/set up that permits that even that top quality performance you are a little on the CS port BD design and something is down there this kind of drive because 0ver 90% of my LP listening sessions are through my BD TT and not my DD ones.

I remember you since you owned the Goldmud Reference and when you changed from the Sirius 3 to the NVS I knew that there were something really special and indeed was and is that way.

Good to see you again in this forum, always a pleasure to read your posts.

I know that you post often in WBF but I was banned from there, some people there with closed mind and I’m not to polite because that’s the way I’m.

Anyway, as always a learning sessions with you.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.

Btw, the studio DD TT 308 you named has bi-directional servo. Very good vintage studio TT.

@elexberger

My friend I talked about have a huge experience. Actually he is the most famost vintage audio intusiast in Israel. So I trust his opinion.

I enjoyed my stay in Israel last autumn, i’ve seen great sound systems and nice setups. Audiophile scene is pretty strong in Israel as far as i know. Why your friend is not on audiogon yet ? :))

One my friend had in his system:Kenwood L-07D, EMT 948, Technics SP10mk2, Yamaha GT-2000. He liked Yamaha the most and EMT the second. But, to his taste: L-07D and SP10mk2 sound too sterile.

Anyway, when someone telling us "this turntable is sterile" compared to others it’s very important to understand why.

As you mentioned he has L-07D which comes with it’s own tonearm made by Micro Seiki.

Yamaha GT-2000 comes with it’s own Yamaha tonearm, not very popular tonearm by the way.

Those two turntables are for sale as complete units (with pre-mounted tonearms).

Technics SP-10 mkII is just a drive and available separately. I’ve tried at least 3 tonearms (Reed 3p "12, EPA-100 "10.5, Schick "12 ... on my ex SP-10 mkII and the sound with each tonearm was different. Do you understand what i mean ?

Not sure about EMT, but most likely it’s a complete unit with EMT own tonearm? Old ortofon or New Schick is also popular on EMT...

When your friend comparing L-07D (with Kenwood/MicroSeiki tonearm) to Yamaha (with Yamaha tonearm) he’s comparing complete units/turntables factory assembled. Even if the cartridge is the same, the combination of the cartridge and tonearm might change the sound.

When he’s using SP-10 mkII he could add almost any tonearm and the sound with each tonearm will be different. In this situation it’s not fair to say that Technics SP-10 mkII is sterile, because SP-10 mkII is just the drive, not a complete turntables. If he put together SP-10 mkII with some tonearm and plinth then the choice of the plinth and tonearm is critical (not to mention the most important part as a phono cartridge matched to the tonearm).

And all 4 turntables (Kenwood, Yamaha, EMT and Technics) are Direct Drive at least.

I’m not a typical audiophile and I don’t change equipment too often. I have been using EMT 948 since 2011 and I am not going to change it. The truth is, I could live with Lenco L78. It was a very nice, musical turntable.

This is why i’m trying to make it clear. Same with your Lenco, did you try EMA and Lenco with the same tonearm/cartridge ?

Because if someone comparing turntables there are a lot of combinations of the plinth, arms, carts, mats, feet etc. A fair comparison of the drive must be done with the same tonearm/cartridge on all turntables, when you will be able to "hear" the drive and comment about the drive itself.

The rest is just speculations.

I have both the DN 308 :-)  (actually I have several of them ) and a EMT 950 booth are excellent machines.

https://pbnaudio.com/pbn-dn308/

Good Listening

Peter