Direct Drive vs. Idler Drive vs. Belt drive

I'd like to know your thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of each drive system. I can see that direct drive is more in vogue over the last few years but is it superior to the other drive systems? I've had first-hand experiences with two out of the three drive systems but looking to learn more.
scar972
@ferrari275 i think you’re quoting me, not neonknight :)

But you’re right, the idea is sandwich of materials(to block EMI effect if there is any or that none existing noise from the bearing that every DD hater mentioning here), not just heavy platter made from one material. Do you know anyone who keep using rubber mat on Technics ? I do not own SP10R, but i owned SP 10 mkII and Micro Seiki CU-500 mat is a perfect match, the platter of SP-10R is flat and slightly different on the edge. Brass alloy is cheaper than gunmetal. Copper is cheaper than gunmetal too, but this copper matt from artisan fidelity looks very nice.
@chakster
After re-reading the above, I think you are right!  :)

Everyone I know with either an Sp10Mk3 or Sp10R is using an aftermarket platter mat of some type and not the supplied rubber mat. 

Agreed, either the Micro Seiki CU180 or more rare CU500 Gunmetal Copper alloy mats would be ideal for the job.
In this country (US) Gunmetal alloy is more generally expensive and harder to obtain than pure Copper, but in many countries it is the opposite.  I own a Gunmetal Copper Micro Seiki CU-180 which I have compared to the Artisan Fidelity pure Copper Universal platter mat which I use sometimes on the Kuzma Xl DC, and they are similar, but the later can give some recordings a touch more weight and "body" if you will, to the sound.  My thoughts here are it may be because gunmetal contains 88% Copper, 10% Zinc and 2% Zinc (est.) while the pure Copper mat does not contain the additional metal alloys.   

scar972

I'd like to know your thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of each drive system. I can see that direct drive is more in vogue over the last few years but is it superior to the other drive systems? I've had first-hand experiences with two out of the three drive systems but looking to learn more.

Many insightful responses above from knowledgeable, well established members. Over the decades, I can state with confidence that I thoroughly enjoy all drive types in my own system and each are represented at very high level. The execution of the drive and overall engineering integrity have a tremendous influence on playback. Honestly, I think they all have merit and any (Belt, Idler, Direct) drive platform when properly implemented can serve as a true analog point of reference.
88% Copper, 10% Zinc and 2% Zinc

Corrected typo. 

Gunmetal - 88% Copper, 10% Tin and 2% Zinc (typically)
@ferrari275 I will add more from the open sources if you’re interested:

Gunmetal, also known as Red Brass in the United States, is a type of Bronze — an alloy of Copper, Tin, and Zinc.

GUNMETAL is a type of bronze — an alloy of copper, tin and zinc. Proportions vary by source, but 88% copper, 8-10% tin and 2-4% zinc is an approximation. Gunmetal originally used chiefly for making guns!

** Micro CU-500 (2.7kg weight, 5mm thickness) is my favorite mat for Technics SP-10 mkII. I still have one in mint condition, but can’t use it on any of my turntables, simply too heavy for most of them. However, i’m happy to use Micro ST-20 gunmetal clamp on all my turntables. These two devices supposed to work together just fine. On my turntables Micro CU-180 (1.8kg weight, 3mm thickness) is what i like the most with ST-10 or ST-20 disc stabilizers. Gunmetal ST-20 simply became my favorite, it’s lighter than ST-20 and works like a clamp (if needed), not just weight.

I own a Gunmetal Copper Micro Seiki CU-180 which I have compared to the Artisan Fidelity pure Copper Universal platter mat which I use sometimes on the Kuzma Xl DC, and they are similar, but the later can give some recordings a touch more weight and "body" if you will, to the sound. My thoughts here are it may be because gunmetal contains 88% Copper, 10% Zinc and 2% Zinc (est.) while the pure Copper mat does not contain the additional metal alloys.  

It's nice that you compared them, very interesting. 
I think CU-500 is better than CU-180, would be nice to read about A/B test of Gunmetal CU-500 and Artisan Fidelity Copper Mat.