Direct drive/rim drive/idler drive vs. belt drive?

O.K. here is one for all the physics majors and engineers.

Does a high mass platter being belt driven offer the same steady inertia/speed as a direct drive or idler drive?
Is the lack of torque in the belt drive motor compensated for by the high mass platter. Object in motion stays in motion etc. Or are there other factors to take into consideration?
I am considering building up a Garrard 301 or Technics SP10, but is it all nonsense about the advantage of torque.
I am aware that the plinths on these tables can make a huge difference, I've got that covered.
My other options would be SME20 or Basis 2500 of Kuzma Stogi Reference etc.
If I have misstated some technical word, please avert your eyes. I don't want a lecture on semantics, I think everyone knows what I mean.
Thanks in advance.
mrmatt

Showing 2 responses by jb0194

Ralph,

Have you tried "record periphery rings"? It would appear to benefit warped lps, of which I have a number.

Your feedback would help me in considering same. I've already tweaked the mat and use a spindle weight. My table is a Dual 721 with robust DD motor. FWIW, speed has been rock steady (by strobe) with the 4 or so extra pounds added by "steel/polymer/steel sandwich + carbon fiber donut" platter mat and TTweights heavyweight brass spindle weight.