Diminishing Returns

I know the point of diminishing returns is different for everyone, probably dependent on their inclme, how much importance they place on the stereo, and to exactly what sound they will be happy with.

In these times (not pandemic but rather trickle down tech) where I feel like you are able to get more for your money, what price point do you feel you need to be at to achieve audio nirvana?

I was researching the absolute least expensive speakers and found that the Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2, the Wharfedale Diamond 225, Triangle Borea BR03 are a few that get excellent reviews and can be had for around $500 or less and it got me thinking...

At $1000 the Whatfedale Evo 4.2 looks very compelling (I loved the Evo 4.4 at RMAF last year)...

At $2000 there seems to be some seriously stiff completion...

Just a fun discussion regarding what you think are outstanding deals sound wise, what the speakers are and how much they cost.  No “well such is $10,000 and it competes with $100,000 speakers”.  I’m talking for the average person who isn’t making $100,000 a year.  I’m talking $5,000 or less, less is better, much better.  I understand that for some, $5,000 speakers are like $500 speakers to others, no need to point out the obvious.

What I do want to know is speakers that you feel punch waaay above their price point and at what price (the lower The better) you feel like diminishing returns comes into play.  Also, lets try not to make this a Tekton DI conversation because it looks like they are the answer to this question at $3500; lets get some others in here that we may not know about.

If this thread sounds dumb to you, sorry, and just move on please!

Another one in question for me would be the SB Acoustics Satori Ara kit...
128x128b_limo
@ b_limo
Never owned a pair of Wharfedales before now.  I do think the Evo 4.3 are excellent for the price and I felt they were the better match for my room size than the 4.4.  If you have the room size go for the 4.4.  Im glad I went with the 4.3 but Im going to add a sub x2 later.

If I didnt like them I could send them back and go with the Focal Arias or see if they finally had the Tannoy Revolution's back in stock and exchange it for them. Cant say that these are better than those, but we like them so much they're here to stay. I know there are speakers that could blow these away but not at this price.

The Evos borrow a lot from Wharfedales Elysian series which were out of my price range.

Cool @b_limo. If you live 150 or more miles from an ET dealer, you can buy the LFT-8b factory-directly with free shipping.

Regarding durability, the Linear Field Transducer (LFT) has been in production for over 30 years, unchanged! That midrange driver (two used in the LFT-8b) is built to a very high standard, far superior imo to those of Magnepan (no offense Maggies owners, of which I am one).

The ribbon tweeter is used only from 10kHz up, no need to worry about burning it up. The limiting element of the speaker is it's 8" sealed woofer (180Hz down), but that can be ameliorated with the use of a sub or four.

As for resale, you rarely see the LFT-8b for sale. It's a keeper! Sort of a modern day Quad ESL (lack of coloration, transparency), but able to play much louder. I'm not alone in considering the LFT-8b the current greatest value in loudspeakers.

I remember that one of Audio Solutions Figaro models impressed me a lot at an audio show. They cost $5000 but sounded very good. TAS just tested a pricier model and also commented that they are a very good value for money. 
For less expensive, very high end speaker, I love the small box Vandersteen's with the carbon tweeter.  I heard it scale with an Ayre AX5/20 (my integrated) as well as rock out with the Belles Aries integrated.  It's just an amazing speaker.

The ET panel is always near the top of that list for me.  I've never heard it sound anything but great.  When matched properly and set up properly, you can achieve amazing results from 60hz on up. 

I felt my Vandy Treo's were an amazing value for true high end sound.  

I think a great speaker will be one that you can match TOP electronics with and you keep hearing a marked difference.  YMMV