Diminishing Returns

I know the point of diminishing returns is different for everyone, probably dependent on their inclme, how much importance they place on the stereo, and to exactly what sound they will be happy with.

In these times (not pandemic but rather trickle down tech) where I feel like you are able to get more for your money, what price point do you feel you need to be at to achieve audio nirvana?

I was researching the absolute least expensive speakers and found that the Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2, the Wharfedale Diamond 225, Triangle Borea BR03 are a few that get excellent reviews and can be had for around $500 or less and it got me thinking...

At $1000 the Whatfedale Evo 4.2 looks very compelling (I loved the Evo 4.4 at RMAF last year)...

At $2000 there seems to be some seriously stiff completion...

Just a fun discussion regarding what you think are outstanding deals sound wise, what the speakers are and how much they cost.  No “well such is $10,000 and it competes with $100,000 speakers”.  I’m talking for the average person who isn’t making $100,000 a year.  I’m talking $5,000 or less, less is better, much better.  I understand that for some, $5,000 speakers are like $500 speakers to others, no need to point out the obvious.

What I do want to know is speakers that you feel punch waaay above their price point and at what price (the lower The better) you feel like diminishing returns comes into play.  Also, lets try not to make this a Tekton DI conversation because it looks like they are the answer to this question at $3500; lets get some others in here that we may not know about.

If this thread sounds dumb to you, sorry, and just move on please!

Another one in question for me would be the SB Acoustics Satori Ara kit...
128x128b_limo
Buying used will get you $6k worth of product for $2k.
For my money I like British Speakers.

If you are into Rock and Roll maybe Tekton will be for you.

There is a pair of Tannoy Berkshires for sale at $1,800 on Craigslist.

Depends on what type of sound moves you.
@acoustacrat33, Steve Guttenberg raved about the Emotiva b1+ and I would have considered snagging some but they are sold out...

@audioguy55, good to head your experience with the 225; they were, and are still on my radar.  The you tuber “Tharbamar” absolutely loves his.  He did a slight mod where he increased ghe plate height on the bottoms ever so slightly... kind of An interesting tweak.  The thing that held me back from buying them is the funky angles of the binding posts.  I have some expensive speaker cables with fat spades and don’t know if I want to be bending them in strange angles in order to hook them up.  How much are those posts angled in strange directions??  For $299 seems like a no brainer from the reviews, but again, those posts...  

@phill55, I bet the Carbon 7’s are 👌.  I reviewed the Carrera BE’s last month and felt like they were champs at $3500.  I think I may feel the same way about the Carbon 7se mkii as well.  I love the paper cones and silk tweeters.  The Carbon 7se mkii has $800 worth of drivers stuffed into a $2500 speaker; thats great value.  His series crossovers are great and I love his woodwork too.  I may be able to try out a pair starting this weekend... we’ll see how things pan out.

@mickyb, I remember you touting those music culters 👍. Thanks for putting that unknown speaker in my mind.  I agree about the Tylers too.  I had a pair and loved them.  Theres a pair of linbrook sigs for $3500 right now...  those speakers must have close to $3000 worth of Seas Excel drivers in them... if I had $3500 right now I’d be taking a long hard look at those bad boys 👍

@jmun76, good to hear about the Evo 4.3’s! At around $900 right now, those would be close to if not the top of my list.  Good to hear that you are liking them 🙂. The 4.4’s were my favorite “budget speaker last RMAF.  I bet the 4.3’s are close. I spent quite a bit of time listening to the 4.4’s and actually went back 2 times...  the white oak looks really nice too.  Wharfedale is a company I have never owned a speaker from But that will probably change soon!

Everyone has given great examples and its good to hear from owners of these suggestions! 
The Triangle Borea BR03 is piquing my interest as well based on all of the glowing reviews but you can’t find a pair to buy right now...
@b_limo youll never get to hear all these speakers and even if you did youd never hear them at the same time and be able to decide.  Chances are youd never be happy with any of them. You are on the speaker merry go round. What you need is a master tuner such as myself to do a visit and figure out why your system sounds horrible. Find yourself a good speaker tuner. You obviously need help