Digital vs Analog - A supposition...

As has been the truth since the advent of digital storage and playback of music, there are those who claim one is better than the other and also quite a few claiming the opposite.

Please allow me to offer a bit of an explanation. Keep in mind, this explanation does not purport to be a scientifically-based one. Rather it is is simply a thought that popped into my head a few nights ago during one of my never-ending basttles with insomnia.

I'm thinking that the vinyl junkies may staunchly defend their method of playback simply because it is what they were weaned on and lived with throughout their formative years. Vinyl sounds more "natural" because its playback characteristics are what they heard from the very beginning and therefore it is their standard of playback quality.

They are attuned to vinyl's various (and well-documented) defects and those defects are part of what comprises the "sound" of vinyl and perfect playback. Therefore, the absence of any of these defects would constitute a deficiency of any competing technology.

Discuss amongst yourselves....

-RW-
rlwainwright

Showing 1 response by ths364

I could hardly wait for a format to replace vinyl. many Lps pressed in the 80s had lots of surface noise and skips on brand new records. The cd format at first was largely disappointing- cold, sterile, harsh (especially cymbals) but welcome as there were reportedly no skips or surface noise.
Many of us were tape junkies also, but very few of us consider that to be the standard. Tape does impart a certain sonic signature as does vinyl and I do enjoy the sound of each format.
Interesting observation, but it occurs to me that if the preferred system of reproduction were locked in at some arbitrary point in a persons life the victrola would have been the reference standard for my parents/grandparents.