Digital amps overhyped ?

I am looking for a new amp for my aerial's, I would love to get a classe 5200 but it is over my budget, I just read a glowing reveiw of the wired for sound amp, but I read conficting opinions on ice powered amps, also, I see a lot of them for sale on audiogon, since the wired for sound amp is a buy direct from company , I have no way of auditioning it, I do not want to go to the hassle of shipping it back if I don't like, the bottom line is, should I avoid ice power amps, I have been burned in the past on over hyped audio purchases, opinions?, thanks
128x128samski

Showing 1 response by ben77059

A friend who has tried a lot of different amps and has a lot of money tied up in his equipment has been using two Acoustic REality eAR 502's bridged. He has had these a couple of years and has had no desire to change them. He says they are the best he has heard.

I was about to buy the Acoustic Reality eAR 202 Ref when I found the NHT Power2 based on the same B&O IcePower modules (same modules Wired for Sound uses) for about a third of the price. I am no expert, but I think this amp sounds great. Much better than the NAD it replaced.

I paid $699 for the Power2 and I just checked and they have dropped the price to $499. Although I'm a bit peeved as I have only had this amp a little over a month, I still think $700 was a good buy. $500 is a steal!
More to discover