Differences between Line Magnetic 518 and the 219

I am the owner of the Line Magnetic 518 integrated amplifier. Its bigger brother is the 219 which costs $3,000.00 more. I'm wondering what the sonic differences are between these 2 amps. What does the 219 offer beyond the outstanding performance of the 518?
frontier1

Showing 1 response by migueca

I own a 219ia and I bought it after many auditions comparing it to the 518ia and also the 508ia.
I bought the 219 mainly because it was a very good deal (excellent value pre-owned).
Regarding the sound, as mentioned before it's not that different from the others if you run it as integrated. It has more weight, a more "dense" and solid sound. Maybe more layers and better image, but that will depend on the speakers as well.
But running as a pure power amplifier, everything changes! - given the fact that it is fed by a good preamp.
I am running mine as integrated (negotiating a preamp right now) but I heard it playing connected to a Rogue, a Melody and also a passive preamplifier. The passive didn't convince me - it subtracted much of the musicality and sweetness, because replaced the pre amplification stage with...nothing. But with the Rogue and especially the Melody (don't remember the models), the 219 was superb! A true musical beast!