Difference in B&W sound

Greetings, I have a set of 804n & 803 Matrix2. I'm running a Pioneer Elite 74 Txvi with a parasound 2003 MOD & a Parasound 5250v2. the 804 have a sensitivity of 90db. & the 803s have 89db. The Matrix sound so much better, so why would this be for an older model? Could the 1db. be that much of a difference? I'm confused.
128x128danmar123

Showing 1 response by jimmy2615

Speculating here, but having owned both Matrix 802s, 804s and Diamond 804s, to include both at the same time (804s), this may be very simply a matter of synergy with your electronics. As a rule B&Ws need power to open up, and (this is the speculating part, as opinion doesn't count on science) I think the newer models may even be more power dependent. If it were possible, I would do the same listening test with a very good high powered amplifier and see what happens. I suspect the N804s would surprise you with the sound quality. Also, the matrix series sound great - just because they are older doesn't mean they are bad. In the right room with the right electronics and music they still produce nice music, which some might prefer. The newer models might have tighter bass or better treble, but in the end these things can be a matter of preference and system synergy.