Difference between B&W 800N/SIG and B&W800D

Who had the change to compare these speakers with eachother. I only heard the B&W 802D, and I was impressed by the high freq. but the low freq. where tight but sounded a little like a subwoofer.
leonx

Showing 2 responses by sphere

Dear Leonx,
The 800d uses a diamond tweeter,great marketing if you ask me,because it sounds so dull and lifeless.Now some would say that is because it is so smooth,I say crap, because it does not sound like a cymbal,triangle,bells etc,nor does it allow the energy in upper harmonics of stringed and wind instruments to come through.The crossover between the bass to mid to high has some anomaly, in the sense that there is a cupped feel which people mistake for richness.Add overripe bass to this and you see what I mean.A speaker for the couch potato listener.
The Signature 800 was a different animal altogether. Completely neutral,fast, and it had fantastic interdriver coherence.The metal dome used in that tweeter was a marvel.The speaker could deliver an extremely vast soundstage,I mean huge, coupled with pinpoint imaging.
I could go on,but will say this,Dave Wilson was so blown away that he actually cracked open to see what B&W did in the Signature series,and to the best my knowledge he did no such thing with the Diamond series.That alone should say it all.
Sphere.
The older 800Sig outstrips the 800D in every aspect of playback.The truth is that the audio press does not have the guts to say so.I have heard both these loudspeakers, and can say that the 800Sig is an all time great loudspeaker design while the 800D is a sorry marketing stunt.All those reviewers who go gaga over the B&W diamond tweeter should go hear the Avalon Eidolon diamond, that should clean up their ears a bit.
What a full page advertisemnt can achieve is amazing in the audio world.
Sphere.