Dielectric grease and tubes

Is there any benefit of using dielectric grease on the pins of tubes?
last_lemming

Showing 2 responses by zd542

"The only reason I thought of it was because when you install spark plug wires you dab a bit on the electrical connections prior to installing them."

I know that a lot of people do this but its not really a good thing to do. You don't want to but a grease that's job is not to conduct electricity between to conductors. Your getting away with it because electricity is still managing to flow, in spite of the grease. The grease is used to stop corrosion and deterioration of electrical contacts. Make the contact first and then seal it with dielectric grease. When you do it that way, it works just like a regular piece of wire with a solid dielectric. Please keep in mind here that I am talking about using dielectric grease on cars, not audio equipment. Don't use it on audio gear. (Unless you get the stuff made specifically for high end audio applications.)
"Battery grease is what your talking about. Its used for corrosion on DC powerplant connections, and is conductive."

That's something else. Dielectric grease is used for corrosion but is not conductive. Like you say, though, you can get grease that is conductive.

"There should be no arcing on any tube socket if it is in good condition and no grease is needed.

Some sockets can be damaged by arcing caused by a failure of the tube, if this happens the grease will not protect anything."

Good answer. Unless your stereo system says Ford or Chevy on it, best to leave your system ungreased.

"Don't use it on audio gear. (Unless you get the stuff made specifically for high end audio applications.)"

That's just me being a smart ass. Pay no attention to it. There really is no audiophile grade dielectric grease (That I know of). Sorry if I confused anyone.