Did I make a mistake with my Nautilus 805?

One of the things that came to my mind yesterday was how tight were the woofer screws of my N805. I noticed that the screws were very slightly "loose" so I decided to tighten them all the way down. Now I am worried as to if I made a mistake by doing this and if the sound can be affected. Subjetively I did not find any diference in sound after this, but I was wondering if B&W intentionally leaves the screws a tad loose for some purpose? What do you guys think? Thanks for your thoughts.
kimu_itoe6ad

Showing 1 response by lugnut

One thing I will gaurantee you is that speaker manufacturers don't torque screws into MDF. Cabinet shops generally use air powered equipment set at a pressure that approximates enough energy to tighten but not overtighten. My best suggestion to anyone that doesn't have the skills to tighten a screw is to ask someone that does know to show you how. No, this wasn't meant as an insult. There is a first time for everything and it's not shameful to ask for advice.

Now to help with the matter at hand. Look at the gasket and metal basket of the driver. If the gasket isn't seriously distorted or the driver basket isn't bent then simply leave it alone. Even if you have deformed the metal a small amount or flattened the gasket too much you will be better off leaving it alone and FORGETTING about it. All is well my friend.

Hey, I can't write a binding contract or fill teeth. But anyone that needs some sound advice about this type of stuff is always welcome to contact me directly before you do this type of thing. Digital cameras make communications via the net so easy. I hope we are all willing to help each other.