Did anyone see the Rolling Stone article?

-on the death of hi fidelity? It looks like things will be getting much worse for us. I find it odd that people are going ape over High Definition T.V.'s but are starting to care less about good sound quality.
fruff1976

Showing 1 response by fruff1976

"can you describe the article in a bit more detail, as i don't subscribe to RS (or watch much TV)? thanks."
It was about how engineers are now mastering the music for these ipods and small computer speakers right in the studio. So it seems to me we may be longing for the days of the cd's made in the 80's. It was giving examples of albums that were compressed in the studio vs. ones not compressed and how this could be the future of mastering. Basically it was saying people just don't care about sound quality anymore. I realize most of us already know this - but I found it particularly poignant since I just got a new SACD player the week it came out. At least before you just had to find the best stereo you could afford to listen to your music. Now you're going to have to pay a premium for what should just be the standard quality in CD, LP's etc.